Night Blooming Jasmine

jeep461(5)March 27, 2007

I have some real duds of these plants. I would like to purchase some more.(better stock) This time from southern nursery stock. Does anybody know of a coastal nursery/vendor/whatever who has these plants. NIGHT BLOOMING JASMINE (CESTRUM NOCTURNUM)

I would appreciate it very much these are an essential component in my fragrant garden and I have no faith in my sickly little plants that I have.

Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeep461(5)

Scratch this request. It took a trip to the city and nursery hopping but found a source of 3 footers for $ 6.99. I now have 12 new ones.

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 4:01AM
surfbreeze(9 TX)

Jim -
From my experience with these, they usually do suffer some damage in the winter which may account for their current appearance. Mine are just now emerging with new foliage. Also...their cuttings seem to root very easily. Sounds like you got some good deals. Your yard will be awesomely fragrant this summer!

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 7:42AM
jeep461(5)

I am still baby sitting the little plants. They are starting to put out new foilage. These sure have been a pain. Almost dead to growing, several times. They might get a cactus mix for soil. When I lived in San Antonio everything grew beatifully. Here the poor performance made me stop gardening for years. You cannot add much to the soil or it rots roots, sand has very little organic matter, heat and humidity cause constant fugus problems and the rains all come in 6-10 inch down pours them it is dry as a bone. I am hoping with mature plants the problems will be much less. It is amazing how plants go from healthy to poor looking in just a week.

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 3:45AM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I am glad you found some. I was gonna tell you that they grow really fast and easy from seed. Early last spring I started 3 from seed and they were blooming by mid summer in coastal LA. I never knew they were that fast!
~SJN

Bookmark   April 11, 2007 at 6:00PM
jeep461(5)

I will try some from seed for fun. Since they grow so fast. I really do like the plant. I have a bunch of cuttngs from my plants propagating.I now have 4 types of Jasmine. It is kind of fun to grow from seed anyway. I have about 7 flats full of plants I started from seed. Seeds and their germination requirements are quite fascinating. I started some hard to grow ones so I had to study them for a while.

Jim

Bookmark   April 11, 2007 at 11:50PM
More Discussions
Preparing for Drywood Termite tenting
Next week I need to get my house tented for drywood termites....
gardenbysarasota
Ideas for battling Squash Vine Borers?
Just wondering if anyone has found good ideas for battling...
raisingmen
cape honeysuckle
I have a cape honeysuckle that has been blooming very...
patricia48
Aeroponics
HI All, I am progressing into the 21st century a bit...
pete_the_stick
Zone 8 Hydrangea
Hi all, I was wondering what people recommended for...
mlafentres
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Fun Rugs Rugs Night Flash Collection
$59.97 | Home Depot
Dual Comfort Cooling Gel Memory Foam Bed Pillow
Grandin Road
Abbyson Comfort 'Sleep-Green' 10-inch Full-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Luxury Pillow Top Pet Bed Dog Bed
$109.50 | FRONTGATE
Hinkley Lighting | Aria Small Outdoor Wall Light
$125.00 | YLighting