butterfly weed (seed pod harvest)?

knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)October 1, 2005

How do you know when you can harvest the seeds from the seed pods on the butterfly weed? Do you have to wait till the seed pods are dry and cracking open like Milkweed does?

Also, are there male and female plants of Butterfly weed? I have 10 or 12 plants and so far only one of them has pods and it just happens that the one with the pods had very few flowers so it was quite a surprise. The plants with an abundance of flowers have no pods at all.

Barb

southern Ontario, CANADA zone 6a

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pam_aa(z5 Berwyn Il.)

Just what you stated,"wait till the seed pods are dry and cracking open" will do it.
Don't have a for sure answer for your other question, I don't think there are males and females. Maybe for some reason the insects preferred the one milkweed over the others, hence it was pollinated more thoroughly. Who knows?
If you love this Asclepias, you should check out some of the other species if you haven't all ready. I grow many different ones on my property and would NEVER do without. An absolute must for a butterfly garden. In my experience, not only do they attract Monarchs and other butterflies; they are also a magnet for many other pollinators as well. When they are in full flower, I have a regular bug soap opera out there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Lake Gardens

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 12:24PM
More Discussions
Chipmunk Hell
I have chipmunks (that which were extremely cute in...
jennsterm
Alert - SVB season is now underway
In southwest Michigan - first eggs sighted and dealt...
lilyd74
Calandrinia
Anyone in Michigan ever grow this? I am wondering if...
lilyd74
Anyone have a Weeping Willow Tree?
It seems like these are hard to find. I am in zone...
happytomato2008
Michigan in Spring!
At the time of writing this we are under a cover of...
GardenKiwi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™