Mexican (or Spanish Lavendar)

surfbreeze(9 TX)March 17, 2007

I stopped at Lowe's on the way home from work yesterday and saw this (lavendula stoechas) and purchased a one gal. container of it in full bloom. I just did a Google search and read in one article where in certain areas as far back as 1920 it was declared a noxious weed. I love the flowers and their colour against the grayish foliage and will probably plant it in a pot as Lowe's had some large pots of it as well. Would sure appreciate anyone growing this one posting their experience with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spanish Lavendar

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

I've never grown any of it myself, but it sounds like a plant I might like to try. The other types I've tried have all died - maybe Spanish lavendar would be better adpated to our climate.
Sherry

Bookmark   March 18, 2007 at 11:30AM
surfbreeze(9 TX)

It's a beauty, and looks like a plant the retail stores are pushing this year, as Home Depot has it too. I wound up planting it in a pot next to my sidewalk and it looks great, and from what I read like it can take the heat we will have later on this summer. Hope the flowers keep coming. They are very showy bobbing in the strong breezes we have had lately.

Bookmark   March 19, 2007 at 7:54AM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Have never had luck with lavender. It always seems to succumb to the humidity. This one sounds promising. Thanks for the heads up!

Here is a link that might be useful: Spanish lavender

Bookmark   March 19, 2007 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
hybrid tea roses
Hey all, about a month ago I bought two hybrid tea...
energy_rater_la
How to prepare raised beds for spring after aphid infestation?
My entire winter garden save radishes was lost to aphids...
wildatheart
Desert Rose
I have had my first Desert Rose for a little over a...
bresu57
Ideas for battling Squash Vine Borers?
Just wondering if anyone has found good ideas for battling...
raisingmen
Preparing for Drywood Termite tenting
Next week I need to get my house tented for drywood termites....
gardenbysarasota
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™