hoop house building permit

hick_chickNovember 20, 2008

Hi, Just wondering if any of you in ontario have any information to help me out. Do I need a building permit to errect a hoop house (20x36')? Our local building inspector is trying to tell me that I need a building permit. I say not.. Is there a link with information that says farmers are exempt from having to have a building permit for such a structure?

Thank you for your time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

In most municipalities, any structure 100 sq feet or more require a building permit. I am unaware of any exemption.

    Bookmark   November 20, 2008 at 8:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That is a big structure. Sounds like a permanent one as well.

To be secured to the earth and not have any wind hazards... you most likely will have to have post/concrete footings and this the building inspector will want to step in and inspect. For the smaller hoop house designs with pvc and rebar his presence shouldn't be needed. I would go with scaled down construction and just add more of them and add to the length...

Best of luck & happy growing,

Zhang Zhong Jing
Oakland CA

    Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 3:04AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Question about cow manure
I'm wondering what is best about putting actual cow...
Staghorn Sumac
I would like to try transplanting some small sumac...
Transplanting perennials in wintertime (from IL to IN)
I need some advice. I want to transplant many of my...
Any mushroom compost near Chicago?
Hi- I live in Evanston, and I have a garden in one...
New to Lilies
I am thinking of planting some kind of dark red lily...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™