Which shrubs/perennials are still flowering for you?

maylandNovember 13, 2008

I'm interested in getting year-round color from shrubs/perennials, so I'm trying to mix plants that flower at different times, and to include some long-bloomers.

I have 2 Agastaches and a Salvia that have been flowering for months now:

Agastache Tutti Frutti (planted around a Callicarpa Americana that has similar colored berries) (the house covered with ivy is not ours!):

Agastache Coronado (i think, i am not very good at documenting!)

Salvia Black and Blue has a few flowers left (you can just see them behind the Itea Virginica, which is turning red now):

I'm also enjoying how my Abelias look after flowering. The tiny flowers themselves were long-lasting. This is Rose Creek after the flowers have dropped off:

I also have Camellias, Toad Lily, and Tiarella flowering now.

My Echinaceas did not flower very long, but this was their first year and they were very small, so I hope for more next year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

My Salvia greggii is still blooming quite a bit.

Bookmark   November 13, 2008 at 3:30PM
razorback33(z7)

Camellia sasanqua - several cultivars
Ligularia tussilaginea (syn. Farfugium japonica)
Tricyrtis hirta (Toad Lily) cultivars
Aster georgianus (syn. Symphyotrichum georgianum) - Georgia Aster / European Honeybee magnet! (Mt. Cuba Center clone)
Rb

Bookmark   November 13, 2008 at 4:57PM
esh_ga

Oh that's true for me too - Georgia Aster. Mayland, I should mail you some seeds for that.

I also have Mexican sage (Salvia leucantha), Turk's cap hibiscus, and Salvia coccinea blooming.

Obviously Salvia as a genus appears to be a good one to have ....

Bookmark   November 13, 2008 at 5:27PM
rosie(Deep South, USA 7A/B)

Some things I have not already listed are adenophora (probably a couple different species I grew from seed, but I lost the tags a long time ago), some dianthus, and aster 'Rachel Jackson." Oh, and Tagetes lucida sold to me by Pike's with a name-brand label and verbal assurance that it really was genuine tarragon. It's not, but the late bright-gold bloom has been welcome for the past two years and looks very pretty with red pineapple sage and the rose Crespescule.

Bookmark   November 15, 2008 at 7:50PM
PRO
Nell Jean

I still have gerbera daisies, pentas, salvia leucantha, salvia coccinea, salvia farinacea; random echinacea, gaillardia and roses -- awaiting that killing frost that will take out everything.

Charisma floribunda 11/13/08

Just coming into bloom is Camellia sasanqua, which blooms until near Christmas.

Camellia japonica blooms after Christmas. Open blooms will be browned by a hard freeze, but the hardy buds will open in the next warm spell.

Kerria blooms midwinter, very pretty tumbling down a hill.

Don't forget winter annuals like violas/pansies (violas are hardier) and snapdragons and Iceland poppies.

Pentas and Pansies
Nell

Bookmark   November 17, 2008 at 10:07AM

Pretty! It'll be mostly hard freeze basically from now into March for my garden north of Lake Lanier, where pansies survive in a way that makes seriously consider euthanesia. It's this time of year when I wish I were down your way.

Bookmark   November 17, 2008 at 1:18PM
PRO
Nell Jean

Rosie, have you tried Iceland poppies?

Bookmark   November 17, 2008 at 1:47PM
mayland

Thanks everyone, i think I will add some different types of Salvias!

Georgia Aster looks very pretty too and when I googled for it, I read that it now only grows in 4 states. Esh, I would love some seeds, can I send you an SASE? My success in growing anything from seed has been rather limited so far, but I will be trying some winter-sowing again!

Foxesearth, thanks for the annuals tips, I love iceland poppies and may add some of those.

I think last night's frost will have wiped out most of these flowers now...

Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 10:06AM
esh_ga

Sure, mayland, email me off line with your address and I'll mail them to you. I don't need a SASE.

Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 6:28PM

Hey, Georgia aster--the one I brought home from Nearly Native's out there someplace still I hope. Have to go looking for it.

Nell, I've been loving the pictures of your garden here and on the Cottage forum. No, to iceland poppies since moving to Georgia. Obviously I need try them in a sheltered spot since I do love hem. Night before last, though, I got confirmation of my suspicion that we're not just in a slightly cold spot here just north of Lanier but a COLD spot. 15 degrees. Maybe I could start seed inside after New Year's Day for early spring bloom, or would now be better?

Bookmark   November 21, 2008 at 2:22AM
More Discussions
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
Camellia sinensis
"Camellia Sinensis" Tolerates more sun than...
girlgroupgirl
Houston triumph tulips
Hi. In georgia, what month do Houston Triumph Tulips...
tulipwedding
Insured Tree Removal Cmp recommendations
Is there a good INSURED & reasonable tree removal...
vnginger
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™