Confederate Rose - pruning

amyta(z8 mid GA)November 12, 2006

The frost finally got my Confederate Rose. When are you supposed to cut back on the plant and how much? What happens if you don't prune it back? My plant is currently about 5 feet tall. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

I don't grow this, but I did search around and it seems like you can prune it now. I don't think it is required to prune it, most people just seem to do it either to control size or remove and branches that died over the winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus

Bookmark   November 13, 2006 at 9:17PM
agnespuffin

You will be able to tell which limbs are damaged. You can cut them off at any time. In areas where the trees are not always damaged by frost, they are often never trimmed. They grow to be small trees. I don't trim mine. The larger limbs are not bothered by cold weather, just the tender outer branches freeze. Now is the time of year to take cuttings if you want to.

However, others ofter cut them down to make them bush out in the spring. It just depends on the look that you want.

Bookmark   November 13, 2006 at 9:22PM
sugarhill(7)

Here is some info from Walter Reeves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Confederate Rose

Bookmark   November 14, 2006 at 9:49AM
cookie1944(zone 7)

To get the confederate rose ready for wimter, I cut them back to the ground, just like I do my angel trumpets. Then I mulch ovrt them. When the weather gets warm, they start growing again. You can also cut pieced of the branches to root and make new plants.
Cookie

Bookmark   November 14, 2006 at 7:37PM
info7

I have this plant also. Now is the time that I take cuttings and cut mine to about six inches tall, and add a thick mulch.
I clean up around the bottom of them too.
This past summer with the weather like it was I had some type of white harry bug on them....

Bookmark   November 24, 2006 at 9:54AM
More Discussions
Houston triumph tulips
Hi. In georgia, what month do Houston Triumph Tulips...
tulipwedding
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
have: lime tree - free to good home!
I have an unknown type of lime tree (not a dwarf) planted...
alison234
Georgia (Piedmont region) - new NABA chapter
To all butterfly enthusiasts in Georgia: The North...
memays
free partially bags of fertilizer, lime, etc.
Can't move these. I have partial bags of fertilizer,...
Tricia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™