unknown squash

texascudaApril 10, 2008

I've been looking for seeds for a squash variety referred to as calabaza or mexican squash. However the google searches I did for this squash all produced something entirely different. The squash I buy at the grocery is light green, mottled with streaky spots of a lighter green and shaped somewhat like a combination of zucchini and yellow straight-neck squash. The flesh is white. It is labled calabaza in the store also. I've seen only very young squash so no chance of harvesting these seeds. Anyone have a correct name for these?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texascuda

I kept searching and did find a name for this squash. It's called "tatuma" and the only seed source I found on the net is Fanick's Home and Garden in San Antonio. It's a very nice little squash if anyone cares to try it!

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 1:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texascuda

This is a prolific, spreading vine, feathery foliage, low to the ground with small lilac colored spires of flowers, Easy to pull out and delicate, but grows like mad. Please tell what this plant is called. I see it everywhere along the Texas roadsides.

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
hybrid tea roses
Hey all, about a month ago I bought two hybrid tea...
energy_rater_la
Panama City Beach area, anywhere to buy Glass Gem Corn cobs?
Can anyone recommend places near Panama City Beach...
JennyJennyO
Anyone grow Almonds or English Walnuts?
Please Delete This Post This post was edited by mmckey2...
mmckey2
amaryllis planted in the ground
I have a number of amaryllis planted in the ground...
mspatrick
Zone 8 Hydrangea
Hi all, I was wondering what people recommended for...
mlafentres
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™