Baby Roses and Hurricane Season

kandm(8b coastal alabama)April 24, 2008

I am scared about this hurricane season more than usual because I just planted a bunch of roses. I live on a hill so flooding isn't a big issue, my city, Mobile usually misses the worst of the storms, but I'm concerned about the winds nonetheless. Has anyone ever constructed a wind barrier out of cinder blocks? Do you think it would work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amelia_pepper_lady(8B/9 LA)

Personally, I would not use cinder blocks. Hurricane force winds can demolish a cinder block wall. (Can happen with a cinder block mortared wall if the mortar has not completely cured, which takes several years.)

Plants, including roses, tend to bend with the winds and recover after. Yes, you might lose some roses to a hurricane.

However, you might lose all your roses AND cause damage to buildings, autos, and people in the area if cinder blocks were blown away by the wind.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 9:35PM
beachplant(9b)

Think of those cinder blocks as flying objects of destruction. If a hurricane can blow the roof off your house, blow it out a few miles into the gulf or the bay where do you think those cinder blocks are going? Alicia blew my brothers boats out of the water-they were partially submerged & anchored & tied to a pier. We found the pier 4 blocks away & some of the boats up to 5 miles away.
Tally HO!

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 4:09PM
tdr4

We planted 3 rose bushes before Katrina hit. I had also started a butterfly garden in July 2005. All were well after Katrina. I had a tree on my porch with branches in my rose bush which still bloomed the day after the storm. I had to move a privacy fence off my butterfly garden but all recovered quickly. I live in Gulfport so do not worry.

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 10:21PM
rabocsekire(9a)

well if a storm is on the way just do some light pruning so that wind will go through the center and let them be. they should bend, but a few may die.

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 12:24PM
More Discussions
cape honeysuckle
I have a cape honeysuckle that has been blooming very...
patricia48
Pear Tree Polination (Acres Homes and Tennhousi)
I bought some pear trees (Acres Homes and Tennhousi)...
valis101
There's Fungus Amongst-Us
Good morn, This is my second year container gardening...
Tullia
Panama City Beach area, anywhere to buy Glass Gem Corn cobs?
Can anyone recommend places near Panama City Beach...
JennyJennyO
Texas Star Seedlings
Hi All, This is my first post and hope it is the first...
pete_the_stick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™