What are your favorite heather varieties?

pinkswineJanuary 8, 2010

I'm going to be ordering some heather plants and would like to know which varieties are your favorite? I would like to find some beautiful ones that look good in the winter as well as the summer. J

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cher(6 SW OH)

Since I can only have certain Heaths because of my neutral 6.8 soil I can only list those, but of what I have my favorites are:

Erica vagans:
Mrs D F Maxwell
Mrs Donaldson
Yellow John

Erica darleyensis:
Kramer's Rote
Furzey
Irish Treasure

Erica carnea:
Golden Starlet
Vivelli

I love the Heathers/Heaths but with us being so zone different I can't say whether any of these would be good for you.
Cher

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 9:19AM
hoefarmer

Visit your local Lowes store now and over the next couple of weeks for winter blooming heathers grown in Oregon. Other varieties available at Lowes as the season progresses.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 3:18PM
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

Bloom is not what attracts me to heath/heather, but rather the vividly colored foliage especially at this time of year when so many things are green or leafless.

I love Dart's Flamboyant, Wickwar Flame and Winter Chocolate, I also have several of a variety that is bright lemon yellow right now.

I keep telling myself that I should take cuttings of them so I can have more, but don't seem to get around to it.

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 4:35PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I second Wickwar Flame, Winter Chocolate and add Kerstin, Velvet Fascination, Tib and Red Fred. All Calluna vulgaris cultivars.

Mrs. D.F. Maxwell is a great heath though she got sooo big for me she had to go.

Great mail order nursery linked, most heaths and heathers at big box stores are either not hardy or boring Mediterranean White and Pink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heaths and Heathers

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 6:32PM
More Discussions
transplanting heather
Heather grows well here on Vancouver Island, and mine...
Hanako2
Strength Maxima Eremax
You don't go below the surface if you already know...
PamCRuss
I need a plan!
I live in Pennsylvania (5b) just north of Pittsburgh....
dirty_wench
growing in a container
Appreciate any help. My hobby is bonsai and I would...
paul3636
What variety of heather is this?
Sorry I don't have a pic, but I just got a small plant...
esther_b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™