What's that tree flowering right now w/ the purple poof flowers?

amyinalabamaMay 20, 2007

I keep seeing a tree that sort of reminds me of a sensitive plant (same kind of look to the leaves) and it has these purple poofs for flowers. I'm not sure if grows wild or if people plant them, but it sure is pretty. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pestee42(8)

It's a mimosa. It's pretty invasive around here but I can't help but like them too. They also smell so good.

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 9:14AM
amyinalabama

Yes, that's it! Thanks.

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 1:10PM
alabamatreehugger(8)

Oh'my, there's thousands of them around here. Once they start dropping those seeds they will come up everywhere. I consider them a weed.

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 6:37PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

They're not weeds around here anymore--some kind of bug or disease (think I knew but I don't remember) came in and killed almost all of 'em. I remember some plant people saying we 'had a good run' with them, before whatever it was caught up with them.

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 12:51AM
amyinalabama

I'm fairly new to Alabama so that's probably why I never noticed them before. Oh well. It seems like I everything I like turns out to be invasive, lol!

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 9:48AM
mmgrow

I live in Pensacola and have a huge mimosa tree. It blumes all summer,grows quickly, and is very easy to pull up the "babies" it drops. I have seen EBAY selling 2-3 inch. ones for $10.00 a pop! What could be better than a money tree!LOL

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 7:44PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

Isn't it fun to see something we have in such abundance selling for prices like that? I've just been pulling Lygodium, the 'Japanese climbing fern' which I see listed sometimes for ten dollars or more. Never planted it--guess the birds did. And butterfly ginger, which I love but could do with less, and that awful Rice Paper Plant.

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 12:03AM
pieohmy

Aren't mimosas the same as sensitive plants? When I pull the millions of sprouts they always close up when I touch them. I have a love/hate relationship with them too. There is no way I would cut the big ones down but GEEZ! they are very invasive for me.

If anyone wants some just email me, I have plenty of them in my yard.

Bookmark   May 30, 2007 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
Have any of you tried straw bale gardening yet?
Hi all. Yesterday, I think it was, a Kindle Daily Deal...
magnoliasouth
hybrid tea roses
Hey all, about a month ago I bought two hybrid tea...
energy_rater_la
Butter Bean Question
Growing up my mother cooked butter beans that were...
DPYSRG
Ideas for battling Squash Vine Borers?
Just wondering if anyone has found good ideas for battling...
raisingmen
Zone 8 Hydrangea
Hi all, I was wondering what people recommended for...
mlafentres
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™