heather newbie

vmarcos68(8A)February 10, 2005

I have never planted any heather and have a vacant spot for some. When are these available for purchase?

When is it best to plant, winter, spring or fall?

Should be available for sale during the planting time I suspect.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Heather is the common name for Calluna vulgaris, nearly all of which are late summer into fall (sometimes later) bloomers. Heath is the common name for Erica species, many of which have late winter into spring blooms with Erica cinerea blooming summer to early fall.

Not sure how they are presented where you are, but nurseries in this area offer them when they are in their bloom season, the exception being those that offer seasonal foliage color - a nonblooming heath or heather is unlikely to inspire any impulse buying, most being a rather undistinguished green lump.

Most of what should be on offer right now are the Ericas, so you can select by bloom color. Also look for Callunas with seasonal color, like 'Spring Torch', 'Moonglow', 'Ruby Slinger', 'Flamingo' or 'Arina', with new growth tips in shades of cream, yellow, pink and red - this can be almost as attractive and colorful as the flowers. In our zone 8 climate, you can plant them whenever you buy them.

Bookmark   February 20, 2005 at 11:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BruMeta(z5aNY)

If you're interested in a highly reputable American nursery, here is one west of the Rockies (to save on shipping). Well regarded by W. Coast lovers of heath and heather, their catalog gives valuable info on growing and caring for h&h.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heaths and Heathers

Bookmark   April 8, 2005 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
transplanting heather
Heather grows well here on Vancouver Island, and mine...
Hanako2
I am looking for ginkgo fruit.
I am looking for ginkgo fruit. If anyone 's ginkgo...
zhengyang
Strength Maxima Eremax
You don't go below the surface if you already know...
PamCRuss
Heather for hot summers
Looking for an evergreen shrub to plant as a foundation...
hilaryc
I need some Heather please.
I live in Zone 6 and I would like to plant some Heather...
bozemeier
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™