so...are they dead?

jennahw(7)March 29, 2008

See pics. I got these on super-clearance last summer, and they were mostly brown but each had about 1/3 green foliage around the center. No tags, so I don't know specifics (I actually thought they were juniper). Asked around and was told to leave on the dead bits over the winter, so I did that and covered them up pretty well with dead leaves. They turned a nice red over winter. I trimmed them some when it got warmer (not too harshly, so there is still some brown), but they don't seem to want to bloom. They are still green/red.

I got 2 more heath/heathers that are in lovely bloom since we decided to expand the garden - do my clearance ones just need a year to recover before blooming? should I trim them waaaay back? They are in a well-drained (sloped) location, but I will admit they may not be planted quite as deep as they should be, because when they were planted in the fall the ground was ROCK hard.

so...are they dead and I need to replace 'em, or do they just need some pruning and recovery time?

PICS:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

The one in the lower photo is a Calluna vulgaris, a true heather and they don't bloom until summer. It is not dead.

The really dried dead stuff won't come back and can be removed but the red/yellow growth is normal winter coloring for many heathers. Some have new growth that color too.

Heathers should not be planted deeply so no problem there. a light mulch would be helpful.

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 9:50PM
jennahw(7)

Thanks! I'll do some trimming then. I wonder if the new ones I got are a totally different variety then...I figured they were the same since Lowe's usually carries the same type of that stuff year to year. Wiill the blooms on the 2 new ones stay? Otherwise I guess they'll just bloom at different times. Oh well.

I am planning to get some sort of ground cover to plant in between them, and hopefully it will also overtake the top of the hill - hard area to plant...any thoughts on something that'd make a good pairing?

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 10:08PM

I can't tell from the photo if the blooming ones are heaths or heathers so can't tell you about their bloom cycle.

They look totally different from the other photo though.

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 10:37PM
jennahw(7)

don't have a closeup of mine (the ones in bloom now), but they look like this:

http://www.nzplantpics.com/pics_shrubs/heather_plant_flowers.jpg
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Plants/flower-Heather-Pink.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Plants/flower-Heather-Pink.html&h=405&w=600&sz=120&hl=en&start=2&sig2=bvgX3m1kpEfgBgqlP0niVw&um=1&tbnid=z4kesS8YFTzqHM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=135&ei=vVcNSI-xLo_aecC73fIN&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dheather%2Bplant%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DG

I am pretty sure they are Heather.

Any thoughts on possibly planting ivy between them? I may not go with ivy - concerned that it's a little too much of a pain to control.

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 11:15PM

I would not plant ivy between them. It can swamp them. It can also escape into any natural areas. It is a noxious weed in many areas.

I'm having trouble with blue star creeper that I planted between mine as well. It is very aggressive.

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 11:15AM
jennahw(7)

i was worried about that. I've decided to go with blue rug juniper between them on the more hilly part, then I've ordered some evergreen vinca from Springhill Nurseries to plant between the others. if I remember, I'll post pictures when the vinca comes in and everything is planed.

also, I haven't pruned the heathers any more. problem with the brown spots is that all the green pieces are at the end of ones that start out brown. if i cut off all the brown at the bottom, there won't be any green left at all...

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 9:10AM
moss_girl

Hi. I planted calluna vulgaris a couple of years ago in a rock garden on a hill in my yard (acidic soil). The heather gets at least 4 hours of full sun in summer late AM early PM, with motled shade the rest of the day. One heather comes back green after winter. The other two look dead--all rusty brown, no green in middle, but some at the ends. I was thinking I should pull the plants out because I thought they were dead. Are they supposed to look dead after winter? It takes a long time for them to get some green on them--nearly end of June. What am I doing wrong?

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 4:16PM
moss_girl

Hi. I planted calluna vulgaris a couple of years ago in a rock garden on a hill in my yard (acidic soil). The heather gets at least 4 hours of full sun in summer late AM early PM, with motled shade the rest of the day. One heather comes back green after winter. The other two look dead--all rusty brown, no green in middle, but some at the ends. I was thinking I should pull the plants out because I thought they were dead. Are they supposed to look dead after winter? It takes a long time for them to get some green on them--nearly end of June. What am I doing wrong?

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
heathers and heaths
Hello, I am interesting in finding and learning about Heathers...
maximillion1
Heaths trashed by heavy snow - any chance of recovery?
I've had heaths deal with heavy snow before. This winter's...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Scottish Heather
I was wondering if anyone knows if Scottish Heather...
Kilted_1
Heather turning brown
I purchased very small 6 inch plants of heather last...
donnaroe
transplanting heather
Heather grows well here on Vancouver Island, and mine...
Hanako2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™