Please talk me into buying this Heather? ;)

Tenderheart_Zone5April 22, 2006

Hi, Everyone--

How nice that there's a forum just for this! This is the message I posted at the Cottage forum yesterday. In short, I saw a big pot of pink Heather at a store yesterday and am trying to decide whether to buy it.

I'm in zone 5, Pennsylvania, and have part-shade in my garden. I'm not interested in this one if I'll have to keep it in a container. Thank you for any ideas as to whether this will work and/or any tips on caring for it. I really love this one; I hope it's something that would do well for me here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georich5(z5Oh)

Val---
Hi Friend! I've just recently discovered the beauty of heathers and have a (large) great spot for them.
Let us know here or CG if you caved-in and bought your PINK heather. Aren't they gorgeous? I can see them floating down my drive and crossing over.

Love pink too,and purple and white and red, georgeanne

Bookmark   April 27, 2006 at 1:43PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Please beware, there are gorgeous heather plants that are sold as potted blooming plants to florists and especially mass market floral departments that are not true heathers, Calluna vulgaris they are Erica persoluta and are native to South Africa and are not hardy in most of the USA. They are gorgeous but should be considered as temporary like cut flowers.

In PA you need to be buying heather from a grower who specializes in garden plants such as Rock Spray Nursery in MA or Heaths and Heathers in Washington

$13 is a high price too.

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 8:16PM
Tenderheart_Zone5

Thanks again, geo & buyorsell. :)

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 9:13PM
nflgrandndma_gmail_com

would like to know if I can plant my Erica Heathers out side and of so in the sun or shade, would like to plant it right a way. thank you.
karen

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 12:05PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

What species of Erica are they? Erica what?

All heaths and heathers prefer full sun. Some potted Ericas are not hardy.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 1:00PM
bernd ny zone5(5)

I am in zone 5a and have my heathers in full sun. They like acid soils, being planted deep, and being watered when it is too dry. I found out that Ericas will not survive in my garden. All my heathers are Calluna vulgaris, and I usually bought them at Rockspray Nursery in Truro, Mass, also when I was vacationing there on Cape Cod. I have white, bright red and purplish blooming callunas, some with yellow foliage, love them. They are nice companion plants to dwarf conifers.

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Strength Maxima Eremax
You don't go below the surface if you already know...
PamCRuss
Christmas gift of heather - now what?
Hi, I was given a heather plant for Christmas and don't...
bridgetr
Heaths trashed by heavy snow - any chance of recovery?
I've had heaths deal with heavy snow before. This winter's...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Fireplace Problem
Hey there, so i have a superior bbv millivolt fireplace....
Rackel Ismach
Photos
Love the heaths and heathers!
catkin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™