No shipping to California

msjoyceh(No. Calif. Coast)April 12, 2004

I have a few heathers that I was able to buy at nursery here. I would like to get some different varieties. I stopped and talked to a local gardener who has a lovely display in her yard. She told me that she bought from local heather society when they had garden tours. None of the online resources ship to California. Buying them here is like pulling teeth. I am so disappointed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cranebill(6)

Any possibility for you to plant swap with gardeners in your area? There are forums for trades and exchanges on GardenWeb. I'd only worry about introducing any heathers from too far outside your area, as there's probably a good reason why shipping to California's prohibited. In fact, I'm very curious about this. Do you happen to know why? Are heathers a vector for some plant pathogen or something?

Bookmark   April 12, 2004 at 12:39PM
Jennifer_Ruth(Z 10, Sunset Z 23)

California has extremely restrictive policies regarding shipping in plants from other states. It's because agriculture is a major part of the economy there. They are worried all the time about introducing agricultural pests and diseases.

I used to live there. Four of my children and all of my grandchildren live there now. I think sometimes about moving back for that reason, but if I do, I won't be able to bring any of my plants with me.

Jennifer

Bookmark   April 13, 2004 at 8:33AM
calla_lady(Z8b N. Calif)

Msjoyceh,
I do not know if you are close to San Francisco but Strybing Arboretum always offers some Heathers at their monthly plant sale. Also, I see some occasionally at a nursery that I shop at in Sonoma county. If that is close to you, feel free to email me and I can give you some names.

Bookmark   April 14, 2004 at 2:56PM
mich_in_zonal_denial

We planted a fairly large heather garden ( 1 plus acres ) up on the Mendocino coast a couple of years ago and had a large quantity shipped to us via UPS from Heath and Heathers ( out of state.... either Washington or Oregon ) .

no problems.

Bookmark   April 20, 2004 at 10:24PM
mich_in_zonal_denial

recently visited the heather garden that was installed a couple years ago in Mendocino county in the town of Gualala.

Most of the heathers came from Heath and Heather Co. and were shipped by UPS to the site.

Since the installation of the garden, the homeowner and her gardener have taken several 45 minute long drives up the coast into the town of Ft. Bragg and Mendocino and have purchased some additonal heathers and dwarf conifers.

I beleive they purchased the heathers from Digging Dog nursery .

photos are uploaded in the landscape designGALLERY forum

Bookmark   August 9, 2004 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
Scottish Heather
I was wondering if anyone knows if Scottish Heather...
Kilted_1
will heather take a mid-summer trim?
i have some i planted last year and some i planted...
mattkime
I'm confused
I bought a bud bloomer, Flamingo last spring. It was...
dottyinduncan
What variety of heather is this?
Sorry I don't have a pic, but I just got a small plant...
esther_b
Strength Maxima Eremax
You don't go below the surface if you already know...
PamCRuss
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™