Help! I need suggestions on plants for erosion control.

magnoliasouthMay 14, 2012

I have searched and searched until my eyes are crossing. I need (possibly) 3 different kinds of ground cover for erosion control.

A short plant/grass for full shade, one for partial and one for full sun.

I think the partial and full sun is fairly easy, but the one that is tripping me up is the full shade.

The only one I can find is English ivy, which our neighborhood has banned. My neighbors are not really helpful either and have suggested a number of plants that require sun, and that is helpful for the sunny spots, but is totally useless for the shady spot.

I was really wanting Irish moss, but apparently it needs some sun.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magnoliasouth

Oh and as a reminder, I'm in zone 8b.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 2:00PM
Feathertrader2

I put off for years trying to avoid growing a lawn on a slope and needed something for erosion. I tried wildflower mixes for a few years, but weed and the short span of it really looking good had me change it up. I finally succumbed to (lawn) grass. But I do have some Asiatic Jasmine that is a good groundcover, works in shade and 1/2 day sun. But then you may get neighbors to shoot this down too as it has a growth pattern like English Ivy.
I had considered planting various grasses. There are numerous in color and heights. I went with a tiered planter area and lawn to keep the flow going.
Question about snakes? Well? I've seen a snake in the wildflowers, in my A.Jasmine and on my freshly cut lawn . . .so not so sure if I would use that for a decision maker.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 5:19PM
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)

Try contacting Bill Finch at the Mobile Botanical Garden or the ACES county agent on Schillinger Road.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 1:45PM
More Discussions
Colorado Blue Spruce in Foley, AL
We are moving from Indiana and I'm heartbroken to be...
debidew15
Desert Rose
I have had my first Desert Rose for a little over a...
bresu57
hybrid tea roses
Hey all, about a month ago I bought two hybrid tea...
energy_rater_la
Pear Tree Polination (Acres Homes and Tennhousi)
I bought some pear trees (Acres Homes and Tennhousi)...
valis101
Caution, pruning Century plant
I have a couple of rather large century plants. Decided...
rfonte649
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™