Does total quantity of buds affect bloom quality?

del_sJuly 28, 2014

Many of our daylily plants are blooming like tulips. Last year a plant such as Barbara White was blooming beautifully with 4 or 5 blooms per day, a real show-stopper. This year the same plant might have a similar number of blooms but they only open partly, petals not flat but curled up a little at the edges. That plant probably has 7 scapes with 15 - 25 buds per scape. These numbers are typical. Plants with a half dozen scapes, each with 15 -30 buds are not blooming as completely as they did when they had fewer total buds. On the other hand, Arctic Lace has 5 scapes each with 20-25 buds and has been blooming merrily for weeks now with 4-5 perfectly open blooms each day. All these plants get the same sun and moisture. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maximus7116(MI)

I think the problem you're having with some of the sepals not opening all the way may be related to temperature. If we have cool nights, many of my daylilies bloom that way and never completely open even if daytime temps are high.

I've rarely had an issue with daylilies not opening because the blooms were too plentiful. Occasionally I'll have several blooms at the same time that are next to each other, but they still open.

Chris

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 6:48PM
njmomma(z6 NJ)

I agree with Chris - bud count isn't the problem. I'm trying not to judge my daylilies this year because of the winter we had and the cooler summer we're having this summer. Some of mine are loving the cooler summer and fared well through the winter and others barely bloomed or bloomed shorter than any other past year.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 7:37PM
del_s

Thank you both for your comments. We have had a series of 50 degree F nights. Seems reasonable that that might have an effect. Nice to have a few cool morning openers.
Del

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 8:57PM
nat4b(4)

The only time quantity of buds could be a problem if there are no branches and all those buds are bunched at the top. Then the other buds prevent the bloom to open fully. But I think it's colder nights. It's been a rather cool summer here so far. I am so happy there are flowers that open in spite of that.
I am also glad you mention Arctic Lace opens well!

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 10:00PM
del_s

There was the odd morning, usually after a day of cool rain, when Arctic Lace was looking like all the others, but mostly it's been a fantastic bloomer here.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 10:00AM
nat4b(4)

Great! I am ok with a few not so good flowers especially on a southern cultivar :) I added it this year lets see how it will survive the winter.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:59PM
maximus7116(MI)

I'll throw my two cents in here regarding Arctic Lace. I've been amazed by the quality of the blooms since its first year here. Every bloom is perfect, and it's probably in my top five favorite daylilies.

Chris

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 4:37PM
del_s

I would like to update recent bloom. The nighttime lows rose about 5 degrees and you all were right. The bloom quality shot up. Most everything opened perfectly. So nice to see.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
"Debugging" New Dayliles
Last year I ordered some dayliles online I think may...
antlil
Buying daylilies from the south
I placed an order for daylilies from a Florida seller....
KarenPA_6b
Just heard from Jean
Changing from the old Gardenweb to Houzz and the signing...
organic_kitten
Clean up and beautify Garden Web!
You can add an extension to your browser for Firefox...
Brad KY
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
I copied this post from Jasminerose4u in the rose forum....
KarenPA_6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™