Correct soil for Calluna

worthwhile1(z5 OH)May 3, 2005

I have heavy clay soil where I live. Since a raised bed is not an option for my situation, I removed all soil in a large bed area to a depth of 14 inches and replaced it with a mixture of one third topsoil, one third leaf compost and one third pine "fines" ( very small pine bark pieces). I would greatly appreciate input from anyone who has used this method and had success growing Calluna vulgaris. I am told this is the mixture to grow acid loving plants here in Ohio, but I would like to hear from a veteran gardener in my situation.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Anne12

I also would like to hear about the correct soil for planting heaths/heathers.
My "soil" is mostly clay. Could I mix some orchid mix with MG soils? I need to have some drainage! Anne

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 8:18PM
BruMeta(z5aNY)

Obviously too specific a question for most of us. You might ask the same of the folks at Rock Spray Nursery (Cape Cod). It's their busy season, but they might be able to give you an answer.

I too have clay soil, which I amended with lots of peat, mixing it with the clay, to a depth of about 10-12". Good drainage is most important but so is a moisture-retentive soil, which you now no doubt have. If these conditions are met, along with full sun, I suspect your Calluna will thrive.

You're in zone 5 in the Midwest (harsh, drying winter winds), so be sure to protect them come next winter. Plenty of info about that in this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock Spray

Bookmark   May 14, 2005 at 7:29PM
BruMeta(z5aNY)

Whoops. I didn't mix with peat. I mixed with compost and some leaf mold. (Peat and clay can congeal, negatively effecting drainage.) Worked great.

Bookmark   May 14, 2005 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
I'm confused
I bought a bud bloomer, Flamingo last spring. It was...
dottyinduncan
What variety of heather is this?
Sorry I don't have a pic, but I just got a small plant...
esther_b
Heather for hot summers
Looking for an evergreen shrub to plant as a foundation...
hilaryc
Strength Maxima Eremax
You don't go below the surface if you already know...
PamCRuss
New to heather - advice please
Hi guys, I am a keen gardener but don't know too much...
ourarka
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™