Heather and conifer dying...UK

hieroglyphMay 19, 2010

Where I live (Surrey Hills) is predominantly heath and conifereous woodland... and in my garden, I had beautiful heather beds, some 10-20 year mature BUT in past 3 years they have all steadily died. I kept them trimmed each year. As they are in different parts of the garden I assume something climatically has been the culprit as several conifers (mature trees and ground coverers) have died around the boundaries to my garden/neighboring garden.

The last bed is just clinging on - if I burned it, could it be revived?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bernd ny zone5(5)

This heather forum does not have much traffic, but you could post your questions on the conifer forum, which has contributions from England.
I sometimes have problems with heathers, and then replant them several inches deeper. But burning a heather planting would kill them, because they will only get new leaves on green wood. Perhaps you had a long dryspell which my heathers would not survive.

You should take pictures of the conifers, also details of sick foliage and post them via 'photobucket.com' on the conifer forum. People there would name the conifers and tell you what is wrong.
Bernd

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
Photos
Love the heaths and heathers!
catkin
I need some Heather please.
I live in Zone 6 and I would like to plant some Heather...
bozemeier
Christmas gift of heather - now what?
Hi, I was given a heather plant for Christmas and don't...
bridgetr
Scottish Heather
I was wondering if anyone knows if Scottish Heather...
Kilted_1
Strength Maxima Eremax
You don't go below the surface if you already know...
PamCRuss
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™