Gumbo Soil (Medina?)

sycha(9)June 5, 2007

We have GUMBO soil. : ( Sooo hard to work with... Curious what others do to improve theirs... I just got Medina Soil Activator - heard it's good stuff!! Anyone try this?

Would love to hear your comments/tips!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeep461(5)

I always used Gypsum on the clay soils. I could grow anything in it. It held nutrients and water. For a garden area I mixed in Sandy loam in a raised bed. Worked like a charm. I am seriously thinking of adding clay to my sandy soil.

I just did a search on Medina Soil Activator. I have seen it before but have never used it. Let us know how it works.

Jim

Bookmark   June 7, 2007 at 1:47AM
sycha(9)

I have heard Gypsum works good to break up clay soil.
A few neighbors have gardens & they use Mortar sand (or a fine sand) so...

I started one side just mixing in organic stuff & sandy topsoil. Everytime I go back there, it's not much better. I guess it takes time & patience too! & probably whining & comparing it to my old 'perfect' soil doesn't help *lol!!

Hey Jim, thanks so much for your time!

Bookmark   June 7, 2007 at 6:32AM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I don't know what they call our heavy greasy clay, but lots of organic matter and what someone called 'tincture of t.i.m.e.' will work. We tried sand and it didn't help much--did a little--and someone said you mix sand with clay and get concrete. With the organic stuff and time, the worms and other soil-builders get in there and do all the tilling too--we try to disturb them as little as possible. My achin' back is glad to have a good excuse, and it really does seem to work. But with the heat and humidity it's really important to keep pilin' it on. Where I've gotten lax it's gettin' stickier.

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 12:53AM
jeep461(5)

I did some caliche (sp?) when I lived in San Antonio. I takes a bit but it is cheap and you will not break you back using a tiller once it is in for a while. It makes the clay bind together into larger particles. I also did a baseball field that was on black gumbo. It took a bit but the results were great. It is still the greenest field in South Texas for little league, 5 years later. Without my help. The grass would only put down roots 3 inches and after the gypsum, the roots were 12" + deep, past the depth of a core sample.

Jim

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 5:48AM
More Discussions
amaryllis planted in the ground
I have a number of amaryllis planted in the ground...
mspatrick
Panama City Beach area, anywhere to buy Glass Gem Corn cobs?
Can anyone recommend places near Panama City Beach...
JennyJennyO
Do pomegranates do well on Florida's central gulf coast?
Does anyone have an idea of how well pom's would grow...
rovertnamrod
Desert Rose
I have had my first Desert Rose for a little over a...
bresu57
Zone 8 Hydrangea
Hi all, I was wondering what people recommended for...
mlafentres
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™