Planting site & season

lrichardsMay 5, 2006

Complete newbie here. I live in central Indiana where our soil is clay, clay, clay with some clay mixed in for good measure. So obviously I'll be amending with *lots* of peat over the course of the summer.

My original plan was to put the heather in the planting beds that are right up against the front of our house and was wanting others opinions on whether or not this would be a good spot. It's a western exposure with lots of sun from mid-morning until sunset.

Also, I've been told I have to plant in the fall so the heather can get established before our hot and humid summer sets in. However, I've read other places that this really isn't as much of an issue as I'd been told.

Any and all tips will be gratefully accepted. Thanks and bright blessings to you all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msjoyceh(No. Calif. Coast)

I see we are not getting much response here so I thought I would try to help. I have clay soil here in No. Calif. Heather grows quite here in the clay soil. I planted mine in January when it cold and raining. Mind you our winters here are nothing like yours but I would think spring planting would be just fine for you.

Bookmark   May 11, 2006 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Fireplace Problem
Hey there, so i have a superior bbv millivolt fireplace....
Rackel Ismach
I am looking for ginkgo fruit.
I am looking for ginkgo fruit. If anyone 's ginkgo...
zhengyang
will heather take a mid-summer trim?
i have some i planted last year and some i planted...
mattkime
I'm confused
I bought a bud bloomer, Flamingo last spring. It was...
dottyinduncan
Christmas gift of heather - now what?
Hi, I was given a heather plant for Christmas and don't...
bridgetr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™