best shade trees for south texas

kgatxJune 12, 2009

I am having to remove the huge, rotten ash trees from the front yard of my new home and I am wanting to plant 2 to 3 new trees this fall. My home is going to look so barren and I am desperate to find the right trees that will fill the space and provide some shade.

I am wanting to plant an oak tree, but are there any of the faster or moderate growers that do well in south texas? (corpus christi area) all I ever see are the live oaks.

I am open to other types of trees, as long as they have good height/spread and lifespan.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltruett(Zone, 9 Houston)

Maybe mexican white oak or montezuma cypress.

Bookmark   June 21, 2009 at 12:19PM
gusolie

Rather cliche for the South, but there are many crapemyrtles, especially the largest ones such as Lagerstroemia faureri (really pretty orange bark iwth white flowers, 20-30' when mature and rounded canopy) or the 'Natchez' cultivar of Lagerstroemia indica (or a hybrid of) that is also white flowering and gets about 25-30 tall and 25' wide with a oval and spreading canopy when mature, also with pretty bark that is cinnamon in color.

Crapes are usually always disease free and NEVER hatrack a crapemyrtle tree--there are clueless landscapers all over the South that still do this.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 11:45PM
gusolie

SOrry, I wish I would have posted this link in my last posting, but here is a link to a database showing lots of different crapemyrtles. Click on the diffferent names or ones with photos (and make sure to click on the green "details" tabs to learn of mature tree heights).

'Dallas Red' has a pretty photo of what a large crapemyrtle looks like in a suburban yard!

Here is a link that might be useful: listings of crapemyrtle varieties

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 11:51PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

You don't state where you are located. You need to contact your county extension office and speak to a Master Gardener. They should have information on which plants do best in their particular county.

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 3:08PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

Here is the NUECES COUNTY LANDSCAPE PLANT LIST. It has recommendations for all plants and trees for the CC area.

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 7:46AM
More Discussions
Zone 8 Hydrangea
Hi all, I was wondering what people recommended for...
mlafentres
How to prepare raised beds for spring after aphid infestation?
My entire winter garden save radishes was lost to aphids...
wildatheart
Aeroponics
HI All, I am progressing into the 21st century a bit...
pete_the_stick
Moving Seedlings Outside in Daylight
Hi, No room left under grow lights. Could I take a...
JScott.H
There's Fungus Amongst-Us
Good morn, This is my second year container gardening...
Tullia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™