Can Heather grow in Hawaii

sunnywaimeaMay 9, 2007

I live on the cooler part of the Big Island of Hawaii @ 2000 feet, zone 11. It is sunny during the day 65 ~ 80, at night no cooler then 50. No one seems to know what REAL Heather is. I have never seen it here. I think it would do really well and I'd like to try planting it in a Whisky barrel. I know it will be beautiful! Also do you have to plant it in a bed? Or can I just plant it in good soil in the grownd. I also wonder if importing it is a problem.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rockspray(z6 Cape Cod)

There are many ericas (heaths) that grows in warmer climates. Heather (calluna vulgaris) grows best in zones 5-8. You can plant it in any well drained acidic(ph 5.5) soil. You will have a hard time getting it imported to the Islands we no longer ship there. If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to call.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock Spray Nursery

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 9:04PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Erica persoluta, often called Spring Heahter is grown as a blooming potted plant and sold at mass market stores and grocery store floral departments. You might try looking there.

Bookmark   May 30, 2007 at 8:06PM
davidrt28 (zone 7)

Some of the South African heaths are grown in Hawaii, especially the parts of Maui (?) around 4000' that have a quasi-Mediterranean climate. They are much more exotic than the ones native to Europe, but you might find one that would resemble the North European heaths. Not sure if they would work for you. Erica persoluta is one of those.

Forms of Erica arborea are native to the highlands of Ethiopia. Good luck finding seed of those! And they grow into huge trees but their foliage is still heath-like. That is an amazing plant which ranging from the Pyrenees (provenances are zn 7 hardy) to the Macronesian islands to the highlands of central Africa.

Bookmark   November 15, 2007 at 12:47AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

There would also be the native Hawaiian mountain shrubs with a heath-like general aspect, these could be planted as companions to true heaths (like the South African ones) if nothing else.

The Cape has a positively enormous number of plant species, there could be quite a number of Cape heaths to play with already being grown in parts of Hawaii. Or, it may be possible to add to the list - check with state agricultural authorities.

Bookmark   January 1, 2008 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Christmas gift of heather - now what?
Hi, I was given a heather plant for Christmas and don't...
bridgetr
growing in a container
Appreciate any help. My hobby is bonsai and I would...
paul3636
Wondering if I screwed up
I planted six Erica x darleyensis (Mediterranean pink...
anitje
What variety of heather is this?
Sorry I don't have a pic, but I just got a small plant...
esther_b
Scottish Heather
I was wondering if anyone knows if Scottish Heather...
Kilted_1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™