Orange Tree

emtffwooJune 13, 2008

I bought my house a couple of years ago, and there was a fairly good sized orange tree that produces very well. The only problem I have found is that my oranges are extremely sour. I don't know if the sourness is due to the soil, or do I have a rare orange lemon tree??? Any suggestions on what to do, so that I could actually enjoy eating these huge, juicy oranges without the pucker factor would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alex_7b(7b/8a)

http://www.sepalms.org/SPS_Hardy_Citrus.htm

Most likely a Satsuma or other cold-hardy hybrid.

Bookmark   June 16, 2008 at 12:21PM
jeep461(5)

If it is large you will have to just live with the tree. It may have froze at one time below the graft or was a seed tree.

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 5:29PM
karpes

ItÂs possible that you have a ponderosa lemon tree. The fruit are very large and I have seen the fruit of this lemon mistaken for oranges.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 12:01PM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

I agree with Jim, if it is sour, it must have reached below 32 degrees, and you will need to replace the plant. Next time mulch your plants in the winter for protection. I have made the same mistake. Barbra,

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 8:00PM
wally_1936(8b)

You may just have a sour orange. Have you tried cooking with the juice? They also go good in panckaes, etc. I grate mine then cut and peel my oranges and put them in a blender with egg and honey. for orange pancakes. There are always ways of using them oranges. I have put them in the refrigerator and wait about one week and they seem to sweeten up some. My satsuma has that problem sometimes. I wouldn't cut that tree down if you are getting a lot of fruit. They hold up fairly well in the cooler. I have had some last over a month, just have to keep checking. Check with your good local nursery to be sure of the variety. Take a picure of the fruit and leaves with you so they don't have to do too much guessing. If you take the fruit and leaves make sure they are in a zip-lock bag.

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
Newly seeded lawn troubles :(
Hello! I need some advice. First a little background...
lellenh29
Seed survival rate with 4"+ of rain?
New plot gardener here, a little concerned about the...
cagoldbear
Starting SFG In Houston - Planting Suggestions
I know it's a little late in the season, but I have...
MikeMcM1956
Have any of you tried straw bale gardening yet?
Hi all. Yesterday, I think it was, a Kindle Daily Deal...
magnoliasouth
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings in one...
Florida Native
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™