Thinking about putting heath/heather near shrubs...OK?

rachel77(7 TX)June 23, 2005

Is using heath/heather okay as a filler between shrubs? If so, does anyone have pics? Or does it look better if it's just heath and heather only?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BruMeta(z5aNY)

Heath and heather only, just as they grow in their natural habitats. Besides, the shrubs will shade them; soil requirements for both will probably not be met; and visually, such plantings would beg the question, "why?," rather than a response of "ahhh!"

Bookmark   August 28, 2005 at 11:39AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Depends on what kinds of shrubs and how close together you wish to plant them.

Heathers mix beautifully with conifers.

Heathers also will mix with dwarf rhododendrons or other small shrubs that have similar cultural requirements.

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 8:26PM
davidrt28 (zone 7)

Old thread but I will say that in my experience, the central and southern european heaths (Erica X griffithsii, Erica terminalis, etc.) have an especially dislike of crowding and being shaded out by other plants.
Erica carnea would probably be ok between shrubs if it were a southern exposure and they still got plenty of sun.

Bookmark   November 15, 2007 at 1:10AM
davidrt28 (zone 7)

Duh, my bad, Erica carnea is central European. But native to quite high altitudes in alpine areas. I was thinking more of the zn 7-ish species that are larger, shrubier, and native to drier climates.
I did once have an Erica vagans intermingle with some azaleas and it did ok, but it was SE facing so the azaleas weren't shading out the Erica. OTOH I had an Erica terminalis suddenly die because a Salvia shaded it out.

Bookmark   November 15, 2007 at 1:18AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I have heaths and heathers intermingled wit shrubs, grasses, perennials and bulbs all over my yard. As long as they aren't flopped on or shaded out, they do fine.

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 5:24PM
charis23

I'VE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH MIXED PLANTINGS OF SHRUBS, DWARF CONIFERS, PHORMIUMS, GRASSES, SUCCULENTS AND HEATHERS. HAPPY TO SEND PHOTOS TO ANYONE WHO WANTS THEM. THE GARDEN WAS FEATURED IN APRIL 08 ISSUE OF GARDENS WEST MAGAZINE SO YOU CAN SEE IT THERE TOO. GOOD LUCK!

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 7:39PM
natschultz

They go great with Rhododendrons and Pieries, but give each plenty of space when planting. I have cold weather varieties and they do spread to a good 3-4 feet wide over time. One is HUGE in full sun, the other is half the size in partial shade from an Oak tree (15 year old plants).

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 12:58AM
More Discussions
growing in a container
Appreciate any help. My hobby is bonsai and I would...
paul3636
Heaths trashed by heavy snow - any chance of recovery?
I've had heaths deal with heavy snow before. This winter's...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
heathers and heaths
Hello, I am interesting in finding and learning about Heathers...
maximillion1
I need some Heather please.
I live in Zone 6 and I would like to plant some Heather...
bozemeier
I need a plan!
I live in Pennsylvania (5b) just north of Pittsburgh....
dirty_wench
Sponsored Products
Rope Walk Yellow Rectangle: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rectangle Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$449.00 | Bellacor
Korver Chair - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Altair Rectangular Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Dropp! Bowl - Menu A/S
$59.95 | HORNE
Magis | Flying Carpet Rug
YLiving.com