Plant fails

chellamaralJune 20, 2012

FYI, I grew Amaranthus Caudatus Red from seed. Although I liked it at first, it re-seeds EVERYWHERE, and gets riddled with tiny caterpillars.

Also,bought a nice cat whiskers,went away for 4 days. I was completely dead on return, eaten by something. Guessing caterpillars?

Osteospermums- these just seem to melt into the ground, what I am I doing wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

I am so sorry to hear about your Cat's Whiskers. That was a plant I wanted and was on my list for a long time. I finally found one and planted it on June 1st. So far, it looks good. It was out of bloom when I got it and it has put up one new bloom with the promise of more to come. It is in shade most of the day until around 3 pm when it gets direct sun for the rest of the day. It will get more sun each progressing day since we've passed Summer Solstice and the sun swings back toward the south.

I recently resurrected one of Hester's posts that was the inspiration for getting the plant: just a couple of pics. In that post, several experienced gardeners have also had trouble with Cats Whiskers.

Chellamaral, if you get a chance, I recently asked you some questions about your beautiful bromeliad pot. Please see link below.

Thanks!
Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: I've started to archive pics of my gardens!

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 3:02PM
chellamaral

thanks Carol, I just added a post to your question...

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 9:23AM
chellamaral

I made a mistake, I actually had cleome,(spider plant) not Orthosiphon stamineus (cat whiskers) It must be a butterfly host...?

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 9:33AM
Beopposed(9)

I had osteospermums growing in a pot last summer, and they did really well. You could try doing that. Just need to keep them in full sun and water every couple days or so.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
A good firespike replacement?
Two and a half years ago I got some 'blue' (magenta)...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
Golden Bamboo
Any comments on this one? I think there are actually...
wisconsitom
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™