What variety of heather is this?

esther_bSeptember 4, 2013

Sorry I don't have a pic, but I just got a small plant at Home Depot marked "Calluna". No varietal name. It has beautiful green scaled stalks and vertical mauvy-pink flowers. The young man at the cash register looked it up (although I can't find it on the Home Depot website) and said it won't get more than about 7-10" high. Does anyone have any idea what exact variety of "Calluna" this is? What growing conditions does it like?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

It is impossible to tell from that limited amount of information - there are multiple hundreds of varieties of Calluna vulgaris and many of them fit that description :-) A photo would be more helpful but even that's no guarantee on a correct ID.

True heathers - all varieties of Calluna vulgaris - like acidic, rich and well-draining soils in lots of sun. They are hardy to zone 4 at least. They need plenty of regular water to get established but after that, they can be quite drought tolerant. They should be pruned back annually after the bloom cycle or in very early spring.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
Pruning
Any input on annial pruning would be appreciated
gamekeeper
transplanting heather
Heather grows well here on Vancouver Island, and mine...
Hanako2
Heather Pink Erica help please-crispness?
Hi guys- I'm new to gardening and heathers...but I...
jaybea20
I'm confused
I bought a bud bloomer, Flamingo last spring. It was...
dottyinduncan
I need a plan!
I live in Pennsylvania (5b) just north of Pittsburgh....
dirty_wench
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™