Help for my Daboecia

greenlarry(UK 8/9)September 14, 2007

I bought this little ericaceous shrub a couple of years ago and planted it in the front garden where it would get some sun but not be baked all day. It did quite well for a while, flowers every year(is flowering now, albeit weakly) but over time it deteriorated. Its a combination of heavy soil, and trampling feet(kids,dogs etc)thats done it!

I have worked the soil extensively before planting this bed out,putting lots of compost and manure in it but its no good, nothing does too well(apart from a established Forsythia and a Spiraea)-even the potatoes I planted last year to hopefully break the soil didnt come through!

I have therefore decided to move most of the plants out to the back garden where the soil is a lot better, even though it gets a lot more sun, but what to do with this little chap. Thyere not easy to come by round here(not seen one for sale since) so it would be a shame to lose it!

How do these take to pruning-I could do with cutting back its straggly stems and geting some bushiness back.

Cheers

Larry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

They take to pruning very well if it is a light shearing right after they bloom. Should be done every year. They do not like hard pruning down to woody stems.

Bookmark   October 7, 2007 at 3:08PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Thanks buyorsell, I'll have to dig it up and give it a look. I thought of one way to get growth back. Basically put thin wire on the branches like one would do with bonsai, and bend the branches back into the middle so they lie horizontally. This should promote dormant buds to break lower down which will give a bushy centre once more.

BTW, whats happened to the Gallery? Its just a blank page with no postings at all1

Bookmark   October 12, 2007 at 4:33PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

This forum isn't used very often. Perhaps they are all archived?

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 12:13PM
More Discussions
I need a plan!
I live in Pennsylvania (5b) just north of Pittsburgh....
dirty_wench
heathers and heaths
Hello, I am interesting in finding and learning about Heathers...
maximillion1
will heather take a mid-summer trim?
i have some i planted last year and some i planted...
mattkime
I'm confused
I bought a bud bloomer, Flamingo last spring. It was...
dottyinduncan
What variety of heather is this?
Sorry I don't have a pic, but I just got a small plant...
esther_b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™