Heaths and Heathers in Coastal SoCal?

seansmith(z10)September 20, 2009

We have enjoyed the heaths and heathers on our frequent trips to Scotland and Ireland. Any chance of growing them in our zone 10 socal coastal garden? Anyone know of a good source for these plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

If you can provide the correct growing requirements, I think it quite possible :-) You may have a lot better luck focusing on the heaths (Erica species) rather than on heathers (Calluna vulgaris) - there are many more species for one and the vast majority originate from South Africa or around the Mediterranean.....a little more in line with your climate conditions.

Most will appreciate acidic soils that are well-draining and have been somewhat organically enriched. Full sun is good. While most will become quite drought tolerant once established, they need frequent watering when first planted.......young plants cannot be allowed to dry out.

If none are offered by local retail nurseries (not always a good sign.....generally means plants are not well-suited for your area or are very uncommonly planted), you could investigate mail order. Here's a couple to get you started. I've purchased from both and have no issues with either plant quality or customer service.

http://www.canby.com/hheather/
http://www.heathsandheathers.com/hhweb_001.htm

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 9:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I wish there was a way to report that spammer.....

You can plant the Erica persoluta hybrids found at your local grocery store.

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 6:33PM
More Discussions
Scottish Heather
I was wondering if anyone knows if Scottish Heather...
Kilted_1
I need some Heather please.
I live in Zone 6 and I would like to plant some Heather...
bozemeier
will heather take a mid-summer trim?
i have some i planted last year and some i planted...
mattkime
I need a plan!
I live in Pennsylvania (5b) just north of Pittsburgh....
dirty_wench
New to heather - advice please
Hi guys, I am a keen gardener but don't know too much...
ourarka
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™