transplanting heather

Hanako2(BC.Can.)September 7, 2005

Heather grows well here on Vancouver Island, and mine have grown so well that I would like to move them to a location where they can really spread out.

My plan was to just prune them when they needed it, but my tiny starters ended up just a mite too close together.

I have seen transplanted heathers that didn't make it, possibly because they were not pruned before being transplanted. I saw no signs of watering after the move either.

I would prune, then move, then water the new location both before and after the move.

Is there a step or two I'm missing?

Hanako2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

What you propose sounds reasonable, although other than controlling the size for ease of transplant, there is not much advantage to pruning them before moving. You should be aware that these do not take to transplanting readily - some plants just don't like being moved and heaths and heathers are included in this list - so your success is a bit of a gamble. I might wait until a bit later in the season as well - October is generally a better time in our climate for transplanting established evergreen shrubs.

Bookmark   September 8, 2005 at 9:31AM
Hanako2(BC.Can.)

Your response is more or less what I thought, which is why I was hoping there might be something I was unaware of. I think I'll wait a bit, as you have advised, and then risk the move by taking it one plant at a time, then watching for transplant rejection. It seems to me I tried it once before, and the result was not a happy one, or it could have been an observation I made about a neighbour's similar attempt.

Thank you,
Hanako2

Bookmark   September 8, 2005 at 4:28PM
BruMeta(z5aNY)

I have moved several of my heathers, some of them more than once. I do it only in early to mid-spring, before growth begins and usually after I shear them (see below). I have learned that transplanting will retard the plant's top growth for that year, but not in following years. Be sure to get as much of the root ball as possible, and absolutely keep them well watered after moving them. (Since you have been growing heathers, I assume their horticultural requirements are well met.) I also dose the transplants with a systemic fungicide after transplanting as a precautionary measure.

Shearing and pruning: heathers benefit from having their tops (just below previous year's flowering) lightly sheared in their first three or four years in the ground; this prevents legginess, and plants grow fuller. As far as pruning, only cut out dead or diseased branches that have browned and withered (this sometimes happens, especially here in the NE). This does not set the plants back, and the removed sections will fill in within one to three years, depending on the severity of pruning, without evidence of damage.

Bookmark   September 16, 2005 at 10:21AM
maypiner

I PUT 30 0R MORE BEDDING BEGONIAS IN MY ROCKERY THIS SUMMER AND THEY DIDN'T DO A THING,DIDN'T DIE DIDN'T GROW.THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS I HAD MY ROCKERY COVERED IN WOOD CHIPS BEFORE THEY WERE PLANTED.WOULD SOMETHING IN THE CHIPS DETER THEM?

Bookmark   November 10, 2014 at 7:23AM
gardengal48

maypiner, why in the world would you post a completely unrelated question onto the tail end of a thread that is almost 10 years old?? Did you not want to get any answers?

Yes, the chips could have contributed to the lack of growth. Wood chips tie up nitrogen at the soil surface as they break down and that can affect the growth of shallow rooted bedding plants like begonias. You can offset this by just a few applications of a liquid fertilizer.

Next time, start your own thread in a plant appropriate forum....like Annuals would have been for this question. And please don't type all in caps. It is very hard to read and it is the online equivalent of shouting.

Bookmark   November 10, 2014 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
Heather for hot summers
Looking for an evergreen shrub to plant as a foundation...
hilaryc
Heather turning brown
I purchased very small 6 inch plants of heather last...
donnaroe
Scottish Heather
I was wondering if anyone knows if Scottish Heather...
Kilted_1
I need some Heather please.
I live in Zone 6 and I would like to plant some Heather...
bozemeier
heathers and heaths
Hello, I am interesting in finding and learning about Heathers...
maximillion1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™