Magnolia in pot

adamharbeck(WA Aust)August 26, 2007

Hi everyone,

I know I dont live in your area but I think my post might be more relevant to this forum. I just dug up a young southern magnolia which was planted out in the wrong position (didnt realise that they could get so big!). I have placed it in a pot but I am curious to know, is it possible to maintain this species as a potted specimen or is it an in-ground or nothing kind of thing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

A Southern magnolia is a very large tree. I don't think it would be very happy in a pot. It's kinda like putting an oak in a pot. You can do it as a seedling, sapling, but eventually you should put it in the ground. However, it can't hurt to try it and it may live several years. Not sure how slow- or fast-growing it is.

Bookmark   August 28, 2007 at 11:09PM
beachplant(9b)

They aren't real fast growers but they can shoot up more than a foot over a season, sometimes even more. I have to agree that it won't be happy long in a pot. They have a fairly extensive root system too.
Tally Ho!

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 3:26PM
valuehorse

they will do fine in a pot. i've got two i'm training as bonsai (from seed). just keep them under control. repot into larger pots or trim the roots and manage the top growth as well.

Bookmark   September 24, 2007 at 12:37PM
adamharbeck(WA Aust)

Will they flower in a pot?

Bookmark   September 25, 2007 at 8:09PM
wannab(8b & 4a)

The southern magnolia (at least ours) has to be a pretty large and older tree before it blooms, even when planted in the ground. The one on our lot has been there for over twenty years before it bloomed, so don't hold your breath on a potted one blooming. On the other hand, Elberta Alabama, has the Little Gem Magnolia planted in large pots along their main street. They are looking good, but I wonder if even they will be long lived in pots?

Bookmark   March 14, 2008 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
hybrid tea roses
Hey all, about a month ago I bought two hybrid tea...
energy_rater_la
Have any of you tried straw bale gardening yet?
Hi all. Yesterday, I think it was, a Kindle Daily Deal...
magnoliasouth
Gardenias
My gardenias are looking burnt and brown please tell...
lbarrientes
cape honeysuckle
I have a cape honeysuckle that has been blooming very...
patricia48
Aeroponics
HI All, I am progressing into the 21st century a bit...
pete_the_stick
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™