Best spot for Fuyu Persimmon?

b.joy.bearSeptember 25, 2013

Hello! I am a new homeowner in Mobile County, Alabama, who is enjoying having a yard to fill with beautiful and use things.

Yesterday I bought a Fuyu persimmon, and I am trying to decide where to place it. I have two possible spots on the south side of my house. The main difference is that one spot (Option 1 in the picture) is closer to the house and enclosed by the fence. Option 2 is in my front yard.

Option 2 was my first idea, and it is still my preference. However, a friend suggested I might want the tree inside the fence to discourage people from stealing the fruit.

My question here, then, is this: are there any advantages *other* that deterring theft to keeping the tree nearer the house and inside the fence? If not, I'll probably go with Option 2. However, since I am new to having yards and planting trees, I thought I would ask some more experienced gardeners.

Many thanks!

Bethany

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisner_gw wisner

Having it behind a fence might be a good idea. Good luck with it.

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 9:46PM
bamacrazy(8b Mobile, AL)

Behind the fence! I live in midtown. Both my neighbor and I have Satsumas in our front yard. This was the first year that mine were bearing a good crop. Three weeks befor the fruit was ripe someone stripped every single green satsuma off both trees.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 12:58PM
wally_1936(8b)

Squirrels love them so be sure you provide plenty of water as they go for the moisture and thereby destroy a lot of fruit just for the added moisture.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 12:06AM
More Discussions
Butter Bean Question
Growing up my mother cooked butter beans that were...
DPYSRG
How to prepare raised beds for spring after aphid infestation?
My entire winter garden save radishes was lost to aphids...
wildatheart
Seed survival rate with 4"+ of rain?
New plot gardener here, a little concerned about the...
cagoldbear
Pear Tree Polination (Acres Homes and Tennhousi)
I bought some pear trees (Acres Homes and Tennhousi)...
valis101
Preparing for Drywood Termite tenting
Next week I need to get my house tented for drywood termites....
gardenbysarasota
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™