Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???

LullabyF360October 3, 2013

In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even though I was born, raised, & still live in Louisiana, I have never been to New Orleans. I was also told there is a guy somewhere near there that specilizes in different types of bamboo. My info on him may not be accurate being as it was given to me by word of mouth. I'm looking for any place that carries bulbs as well as anything fun & pretty.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I enjoyed visiting Harold's a LOT, brought a few things home. It was so cool, DH even enjoyed it, he took some macro pics of orchids there. The people were beyond nice, too. Definitely a TON of ornamentals, but that was first week of April. I'm not sure seasons mean much down there.

There's an aquatic garden/store just east of the FQ but I have yet to make it over to that store.

Are you a vine-o-phile? On Esplanade, just north of Bourbon St, there's a house with mature Syngonium and Pothos (Epipremnum) going up the 2 trees in front. Smashing!

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 3:15PM
LullabyF360

No. Seasons don't mean much of anything in Louisiana. Though, NO tends to get snow more than I do, & I live in north Louisiana. Our weather is just weird all around. One great thing about NO is that is it more humid than where I am. So more tropicals to find or at least see.

When it comes to plants, I'm trying to collect the unusual & bizarre, at least for my region anyway. You'd be surprise at the amount of nurseries here that don't even know what a Dutchman's pipe is

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 3:25PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Yes, I've been looking for interesting plants since I moved here. If I see another pot of Nandina, I think I'll just puke on it. Tropicals are a soft spot of mine also. I thought there would be more house plants and perennials to buy here than in OH, but there are less. Some serious searching and swapping must be done. If I leaved near Harold's, the problem would just be budget-related.

The vine you mention is one of the host plants I've not been able to find for butterflies.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 4:28PM
More Discussions
Caution, pruning Century plant
I have a couple of rather large century plants. Decided...
rfonte649
Ideas for battling Squash Vine Borers?
Just wondering if anyone has found good ideas for battling...
raisingmen
cape honeysuckle
I have a cape honeysuckle that has been blooming very...
patricia48
Preparing for Drywood Termite tenting
Next week I need to get my house tented for drywood termites....
gardenbysarasota
Gardenias
My gardenias are looking burnt and brown please tell...
lbarrientes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™