New garden, prep for next year question?

sambo725(9)October 3, 2009

I am about to start preparing my land for a garden next spring, this is my first one. The land i am going to use is about 30 x 50. currently the land is full of weeds and some grass. Should i till and rake really good, or till and leave the weeds and grass in the soil? Can i cover the land with plastic and smoother out the weeds and grass? my question is what is the best way to start a garden that is full of weeds?

thanks

sam

New garden, prep for next year question?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

The main problem down this way is more a grass problem than weeds. You just might want to do all of the above except the raking. If you aren't doing anything this winter, why not till, mulch and smoother? If you are going to plant this winter, try a very heavy mulch and just open a small area for each plant or seed and just watch for weeds. They should be easier to pull if they have to grow up through a lot of mulch or leaf and grass clippings. As long as the mulch isn't IN the ground there will be no nitrogen being removed from the soil.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 11:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flicker(z8b LA)

When I did as you are doing, we used the Lasagna Gardening method. Do a google search for this. Basically, lay wet newspsper over the whole area to kill grass. There are recommended green and brown plant materials that you alternate in layers. This will build a raised bed. Let this sit for winter. When the weather warms worms will be attracted by the materials in your layers. You will have the most beautiful soil that you ever saw. The only drawback is gathering several materials.

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
cape honeysuckle
I have a cape honeysuckle that has been blooming very...
patricia48
Colorado Blue Spruce in Foley, AL
We are moving from Indiana and I'm heartbroken to be...
debidew15
Newly seeded lawn troubles :(
Hello! I need some advice. First a little background...
lellenh29
Aeroponics
HI All, I am progressing into the 21st century a bit...
pete_the_stick
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings in one...
Florida Native
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™