Salsa without Onions

lauren56January 23, 2014

I can't eat garlic or onions, so I would like to make and can some products such as salsa and tomato sauce without using either garlic or onions, but I can't find any recipes without them that are safe for water bath canning. Would it be terrible to just eliminate them from a safe recipe since they are low acid or should I pressure can to be safe?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

That should not be a problem. You are right that eliminating those ingredients raises acidity so no further measures (like pressure canning) needed.

(I am assuming you are referring to a tested recipe with additional acid - i.e. vinegar or bottled lemon or lime juice.)

Carol

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 12:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Standard tomato sauce canning instructions linked below. Nothing but tomatoes and lemon juice or citric acid.

Neither garlic nor onions are required for tomato sauce - ever. It is just tomatoes and lemon juice or citric acid.

For salsa, yes if you want a true salsa taste but if you want to call a mix of just tomatoes and peppers "salsa", that's your choice.

If what you want is Spaghetti Sauce (normally includes onions and garlic) then as Carol said you can just leave them out of the approved recipe but do NOT increase the amount of any of the other ingredients. Doing so changes the pH and the density.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - can tomato sauce

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
Cranberry Hal. pepper jelly aka turkey's revenge
Is there any reason why I can't use dries crandberries...
ahbee01
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™