What greens are y'all able to grow well?

bigoledude(SE Louisiana)November 30, 2010

I would like to grow spinach, chard and other cool-season greens. I have tried twice in the past and failed. I'm sure it's too late for this season but, would appreciate your ideas.

The seedlings were weak and were knocked over when watered. Even when watered very gently.

Looking forward to some good advice, please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kumquat1

I had the same problem with Chard. Asked the question in Vegetable forum yesterday, and got a response that lime was needed. It is very acid here. Are you acidic there? Maybe same issue.

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 1:17PM
kumquat1

Mustard greens grow great in our climate. They are very good picked fresh and cooked immediately. Do you know how to make hoe cake? Any corn bread would be good with them, but they do require corn bread.

Bookmark   December 18, 2010 at 11:20AM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Mustard greens and lettuces are the easiest to grow. Scatter the seed, but don't cover with soil. They need light for germination. I top them with a very thin layer of pine straw.

I used to grow Swiss chard from seed, but it seems to take so long until it's ready to harvest. Seed needs to be soaked overnight. Now I buy transplants. Much easier and I harvest much sooner.

You can still sow mustard, lettuce, and chard.

Here is a link that might be useful: LSU veggie planting guide

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 1:27PM
wally_1936(8b)

All cole plant do well in our area, as well Chard and lettuce. I prefer Butter Crunch head lettuce. Sweet taste but it takes a whole head for 2 people. Mustard greens do fine in cool weather. I prefer all to be directly seeded in the soil, win, lose or draw.

Bookmark   January 9, 2011 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
There's Fungus Amongst-Us
Good morn, This is my second year container gardening...
Tullia
Pear Tree Polination (Acres Homes and Tennhousi)
I bought some pear trees (Acres Homes and Tennhousi)...
valis101
hybrid tea roses
Hey all, about a month ago I bought two hybrid tea...
energy_rater_la
Aeroponics
HI All, I am progressing into the 21st century a bit...
pete_the_stick
Desert Rose
I have had my first Desert Rose for a little over a...
bresu57
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™