Small perennials for Gulfport MS area?

bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)November 15, 2012

Looking for suggestions for perennials for a very narrow border in my back-door patio garden. Part of it gets good sun, and another part is in bright shade. The borders are less than a foot wide, so I'd like something that won't overtake the paved area. I'm new to this area so I have no idea at all. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Are you looking for plants with a small footprint, or only very short plants? What about something tall and skinny like Cannas?

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:25AM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Small footprint would be best. Height is not so much an issue, so long as the plants don't lean out away from the walls too much, because the patio is quite small. I have thought of training vines or even espalier against the walls, but these will take some time to establish, and I would still probably like to have some small 'filler' plants near the ground.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 12:03PM

A couple Cannas would work there in the sunny part, you might see some hummingbirds. A foliage vine like chartreuse or 'blackie' sweet potato vine on a trellis might be pleasant, definitely fast-growing enough to pack a punch in one season in either sun or shade.

If you'd like a Basil, I find them worthy of small spaces. Of course the leaves are edible, smells wonderful when brushed against, and the flowers attract butterflies.

Wax Begonias will bloom until frost gets them. Coleus always looks nice, no waiting for flowers. A carpet of Tradescantia zebrina under all is colorful and fast-growing.

A shepherd's hook for hanging a pot can help a small space have more height and interest also.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 11:57AM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Those are some good ideas. Thanks.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 12:01PM

You're welcome. I think your zone is 8, bordering on 9, especially as you get closer to the water. You can find your zone here although getting it to stick next to your posts can be a little more tricky, often involving thwarting gremlins.

Buying perennials zoned for 8 or lower should be safe. In small spaces I just prefer plants that aren't green lumps you spend a long time waiting to bloom, which then happens for a short time.

Forgot to mention snapdragons. The little dwarf ones I bought in spring of '11 have been blooming almost constantly the whole time. And Caladiums look fantastic until frost as long as they don't get too much sun.

Annuals (and/or perennials not hardy to your zone) that are long-blooming are fun to stick into any bare spots too, especially the first year. Zinnias of all heights and colors, moss roses, Pentas, Hypoestes (polka dot plant.)

If you feel like planting something now, Pansies and the snaps I mentioned are out there now and would look good until you change it up in the spring.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 11:24AM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Thanks again. Snaps are a good choice!
I know they don't flower, but some ferns could fill some spots too, especially where there's not as much sun.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 10:56AM

Absolutely, beautiful and soft if brushed against, kind of tropical-looking. Good idea.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 2:10PM
More Discussions
Have any of you tried straw bale gardening yet?
Hi all. Yesterday, I think it was, a Kindle Daily Deal...
magnoliasouth
There's Fungus Amongst-Us
Good morn, This is my second year container gardening...
Tullia
Newly seeded lawn troubles :(
Hello! I need some advice. First a little background...
lellenh29
Butterfly Garden.
I'm wanting to convert a large portion of our front...
Misscole85
How to prepare raised beds for spring after aphid infestation?
My entire winter garden save radishes was lost to aphids...
wildatheart
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™