Southmost TX coastal heliconias fading

JayEmVee(z9 SF Bay, CA)December 19, 2011

H. rostrata and H. angusta have been in the ground in my yard here in Port Isabel, Cameron County, the southern most coastal county in Texas, for a year and a half. They've flowered well, multiplied and were looking good until the weather began to cool a month or so ago. Now they are yellowing and sad. My impulse is to cut them down, and compost and mulch for the season.

Since I'm new-ish to the area and very new to tropicals, I'm stumped. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

What was your low temperature that brought on the yellowing? H. Rostrata can take temps briefly into the upper 20's. H. Angusta is a little less cold tolerant taking temps in the middle 30's. But any frosty weather will pretty much set them back, turn them yellow and generally give them a sick looking appearance. Cutting and mulching is a good idea but remember that both of these heliconia bloom on second year growth. Hopefully, some of the shorter stalks are still green and your temps will stay moderate for the rest of the winter. I wouldn't cut those stalks, just the ones that are finished blooming.

Steve

Bookmark   December 22, 2011 at 10:32AM
JayEmVee(z9 SF Bay, CA)

Thanks for responding, Steve. It hasn't been any colder than a night or two in the high 30's, but the heliconia are looking increasingly yellow and ratty. I'll take your suggestion and trim back the stalks that have flowered, compost and mulch the clump that's left then cross my fingers.

Bookmark   December 30, 2011 at 10:24PM
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

Jayemvee,

How are your heliconias looking now. Any signs of new growth on the older stalks? My H. Angusta is just coming into bloom. It's in the ground but I erect a portable greenhouse over it to protect it. I add an electric heater when necessary. My Rostrata is container grown and in a permanent greenhouse. I have both the standard Rostrata and a variety called Misahualli. The Misahualli has 6 stalks with blooms. This will be the first year for this Rostrata to bloom and is way ahead of my standard ones, which don't start blooming until May or June.

Steve

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
Ideas for battling Squash Vine Borers?
Just wondering if anyone has found good ideas for battling...
raisingmen
Newly seeded lawn troubles :(
Hello! I need some advice. First a little background...
lellenh29
Texas Star Seedlings
Hi All, This is my first post and hope it is the first...
pete_the_stick
Panama City Beach area, anywhere to buy Glass Gem Corn cobs?
Can anyone recommend places near Panama City Beach...
JennyJennyO
cape honeysuckle
I have a cape honeysuckle that has been blooming very...
patricia48
Sponsored Products
Clara 20-inch Outdoor Blue Cushion Made with Sunbrella
Overstock.com
Oak Park Houndstooth Pillow
$140.00 | Horchow
Energy Saving Ribbon Branched 2 Tier Nine-Light Chandelier
$496.00 | Bellacor
Seagull On Buoy 24 1/2" High Table Lamp With Cloth Shade
$96.91 | Lamps Plus
Coastal Cottage Bahama Blue Table Lamp with White Linen Shade
$116.95 | Bellacor
Evening Lemons Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
Safavieh Indoor/ Outdoor Andros Blue/ Natural Rug (9' x 12')
Overstock.com
Harper Holiday Mat
Grandin Road
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™