How To Tell When A Pomegranate Is Ripe?

brute(Florida 9B)June 2, 2011

My pomegranate tree is producing baseball-size fruit but I'm definitely not impressed when I cut these things open and try to eat the seeds. They are very hard and the juice is rather tasteless, maybe even bitter.

How long am I supposed to leave them on the tree after they turn mostly red? Am I picking them too soon? Too late?

Does anybody know?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keiki(10 FL)

By your description is sounds like they are not ready yet. Also it seems early in the season. What variety do you have? I have vietnamse which doesn't get that dark red color making it difficult to see when they are ripe. Mine are ready to eat about 6 months after flowering.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 9:19AM
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

From Floridata.com:

"Harvest pomegranate fruits before they are fully mature (before they split) and store in a refrigerator to ripen. The fruit continues to ripen in cold storage, and the flavor only improves. They can be kept this way for six months."

From CRFG.org:

"The fruits are ripe when they have developed a distinctive color and make a metallic sound when tapped. The fruits must be picked before over maturity when they tend to crack open, particularly when rained on. The pomegranate is equal to the apple in having a long storage life. It is best maintained at a temperature of 32F to 41F. and can be kept for a period of 7 months within this temperature range and at 80 to 85% relative humidity without shrinking or spoiling. The fruits improve in storage, becoming juicier and more flavorful."

HTH

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 9:59AM
brute(Florida 9B)

Hey, thanks for the replies! I did not know these things.
I don't know what variety I have, but it seems to produce fruit all year. None of my pomegranates have ever split or even looked like they would, so maybe I'm picking them too early. I'll also try the refrigerator trick.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 11:16AM
keiki(10 FL)

That's really interesting Carol, thanks for sharing, I am going to try utalizing the refrigerator to finish the ripening period.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
So, What Do YOU Do About Coons And Possums?
I just sent three of them to that big veggie garden...
brute
Weather permitting?
Has Clearwater/St Pete weather warmed enought to set...
Lydie
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™