Any good deals in Lake or Marion Counties?

Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady LakeJune 12, 2012

I live at the northern border Lake County. In fact, if I cross the street I'll be in Marion County. I have been looking for nurseries and garden supply stores in my area and I have had little luck. I live 5 minutes away from Home Despot, and while I do a bit of shopping there, Big Box Stores are usually a bit more expensive and a lot more inaccurate than smaller nurseries. But most of the nurseries around here deal in exotics and are Villages priced (meaning they're about 50% higher than the Big Box Stores).

According to online searches, there are no native plant nurseries closer than Webster or Groveland. So if anyone happens to be in my neck of the woods and knows of any good, fair priced nurseries that happens to carry native plants (even if hidden in a corner), I would sure love to hear about them. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KaraLynn(z9 FL, Inverness, Citrus)

There is a nursery called Kenny's Place located between Ocala and Bellview off of 441 that is run by a group for the mentally and physically disabled that has good plants at good prices. They have everything from native plants to tropicals and all of their plants are usually very healthy. It's been about a year since I've been there though.

There's also Bob Wine's nursery in Ocala that specializes in camelias but has a wide range of other plants as well. There are another couple of nurseries up in north marion county that I've been to but they are off any of the major roads and I can't remember what their names are. It's been quite some time since I've been in that area and I'm not even sure that I could find them at this point.

Have you tried going to a local farmers market? I've seen small nurseries set up booths at various markets before.

Hope this helps.

Kara

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™