Pie Melon?

rich_in_nfpa(Z6 S Central PA)January 23, 2007

Does anyone have a source for pie melon seeds? Years ago, when they were living on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, one of their neighbors gave my parents seeds of a winter squash known as pie melon. They grew them for several years and Mom would make a pie similar to pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie.

According to Mom they had a long neck and a fat body. The flesh was a lighter orange than a canteloupe/muskmelon and the seeds were in a cavity in the center instead of dispersed through the flesh like a watermelon. The skin was solid green although she knew of varieties that were striped.

At one time I believed they were a type of cushaw melon but now I'm not sure. I've Googled "pie melon" but couldn't find anything that sounded like her squash.

Thanks for any help.

Rich

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cynthia_gw

It sounds like a butternut squash. Taste is just like pumpkin or even sweet potato.

Bookmark   January 25, 2007 at 8:00PM
rich_in_nfpa(Z6 S Central PA)

I'm certain it's not butternut squash. Mom would have recognized them from the grocery store. The next time I talk to her I'll try to get a better description.

Rich

Bookmark   January 26, 2007 at 2:09PM
lynnt(Z7 MD)

Last fall Homestead Gardens in Davisonville (sp?) sold a wide variety of squashes, one of which looked a lot like a green-striped butternut squash on steroids -- I think they called it a Heirloom Goose squash or something like that -- it was about the size of a goose, with a fat body and long neck. Worth checking out?

Lynn

Bookmark   January 28, 2007 at 9:43AM
farmfreedom

It is in all probability Tahitian melon

Bookmark   February 1, 2007 at 11:35AM
slubberdegulion(z7 VA)

I was flipping through the J. L. Hudson catalogue and happened to remember this post. It's a long shot, but they list, under winter squash, 'Amish Pie' (Cucurbita pepo). And I quote, "Large, pale-orange squash are oval and slightly pointed, weighing up to 80 pounds. One of the finest varieties for pies, canning, or freezing, with very thick, firm flesh. Heirloom from an Amish gardener in Maryland."

It doesn't sound exactly like the ones you remember, but I thought I'd offer it up. A quick Google search shows that this variety is available from other sources too (they all list it as different weights at harvest).

Good luck!
kent

Here is a link that might be useful: Amish Pie

Bookmark   February 1, 2007 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
help rabbits eating my plants!
I am faced again with rabbits eating my flowers, any...
nailah
Help from eggplant enthusiasts
I posted this message in the Vegetable Forum, but I'm...
maij
rutgers vs stupice
I live near Chicago. For our 2015 garden I have devoted...
braidwood13
Is liriope an heirloom?
Weird question, I know. But a friend is searching for...
dabbler-wmn
Looking for my old sunflowers
When I moved to Roanoke, Virginia from the coast I...
foxhillfiddler
Sponsored Products
P-767 Otros Pies Reading Floor Lamp
Lightology
Red & Green Melon Baller & Scoop
$5.99 | zulily
Melon Burst Tiffany Style Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
P-767 Otros Pies Reading Floor Lamp
Lightology
Six All-Natural Chicken Pot Pies
$120.00 | Horchow