Hello Forum

kadasuki(z6 NW AR)January 18, 2011

Hi members,

I'm new to this forum and topic, though I've been listening to Joe Mercola a while now about Monsanto and GMOs. So, I'm thinking that I'd like to begin a more personal experience with heirloom seeds and plants. I would appreciate hearing from you how to begin, how to locate seeds or plants. I've never really vegetable gardened but for a handful of tomatoes or peppers now and again so I'll need to start little and work up to this gardening. Hope to gather lots of information and sources from you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenhousekendra

Hello and welcome,

I've bought from Bountiful gardens and Baker Seeds - both great. Also, I've traded plants and seeds with locals at Farmers Markets. Look for small local nurseries or gardner groups that sell their plants in the Spring. My first time growing Heirloom tomatoes were from a group that was trying to get rid of their left over plants. Good luck and have fun!

Bookmark   January 20, 2011 at 5:21PM
macmex

I got my start with the Seed Savers Exchange. You can find them easily by doing a Google search. It was through being a member of that group that I initially made friends with a good many folk who were helping each other along with seed saving. Now, there are more ways to do this. Gardenweb is one of them. But I thought I'd mention it. Seed Savers Exchange has some good educational materials and, many good people.

Here's a link to another good seed company with a good many open pollinated and older varieties:

George

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandhill Preservation Center

Bookmark   January 23, 2011 at 7:49AM
carolynp(z7)

So, are you thinking you want to plant a few tomatoes in containers? Or, are you planning on just clearing out a couple of rows? I'm a fan of square foot gardening. Here's the about page: http://www.squarefootgardening.com/aboutus/. If it appeals to you, find the book in your library or online somewhere before you buy anything. There is a shop at the website, but I would recommend starting with a small plot before you buy anything. It's amazing how much you change your mind on things from season to season. The seed places both other posters recommended are places I'm fond of.

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
Help from eggplant enthusiasts
I posted this message in the Vegetable Forum, but I'm...
maij
Wire fence for backyard of 1920 Bungalow
I am looking for wire fencing that was used as backyard...
Jane Hardy - Tennessee
Ground cherry
I'm considering ordering a ground cherry from Seed...
bex10023
Rotten spots on my heirloom tomatoes
My Cherokee purple and my Arkansas Traveler's tomatoes...
zzackey
Naked seeded pumpkins
I am going to grow Gleisdorfer Naked Seeded Pumpkin...
Trishcuit
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™