Cosmonaut Volkov Tomato

peedeejonesJanuary 10, 2005

Does anyone have the history of his tomato?

I am an Astronomy major and I found this heirloom variety's name very interesting. I purchased a pack and am wanting to know more about it.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Does anyone have the history of his tomato?

It is one of many recently bred in Russia and was named after their most famous pioneering cosmonaut.

That's it, plain and simple. ( smile)

When SSE first received it along with some other Russian varieties I trialed it for them and was not all that impressed although some others seem to like it as an early variety along with Clear Pink Early, another Russian bred variety.

Carolyn

Bookmark   January 10, 2005 at 8:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
galina

Cmdr Volkov together with Senior Space Engineer Martinov give fascinating talks about space, the space stations MIR and ISS and life in space and we had the opportunity to attend.

For example:
http://www.cawas.freeserve.co.uk/Rogers/cos1.htm

At the end they patiently answer questions and I asked about Cosmonaut Volkov tomato. He smiled at the unusual question, then explained that they had been given Siberian tomato seeds to take into space with them. These were subsequently grown out and were found to be different compared to before (radiation levels in space?). The best were named 'Cosmonaut Volkov' in his honour and have been propagated ever since.

Bookmark   January 12, 2005 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
stupice vs rutgers
I live near Chicago. For our 2015 garden I have devoted...
braidwood13
Civil War Era heirlooms?
Hi all, After reading a couple of Civil War diaries,...
tumblingtomatoes
Bottle brush seeds
Lady in Spain interested in purchasing bottle brush...
Mary Ellen Lynch - CA
Is liriope an heirloom?
Weird question, I know. But a friend is searching for...
dabbler-wmn
black Siam tomato
I am growing a Black Siam Tomato this year and as with...
barbara97801
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™