Growing season for hellebores?

graywings123January 4, 2011

I planted several very young hellebores in October, and the top growth on all of them is pretty much dead after an unusually cold December. The seller has assured me they will come back in the Spring. It makes sense.

What I can't figure out is why my mature hellebore is not on that same schedule. It flowered beautifully last spring, then started new growth in the late summer. That new growth is doing fine through this cold weather, and I assume it will bloom on schedule.

My question is: what growing schedule will my baby plants be on when they mature? Do different species of hellebores put out new growth at different times? The babies are Helleborus x hybridus 'Sunshine Selections.' The mature one came with the house. Here is a photo of it in bloom:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Yes, different hellebore species can produce growth at different times. But this is not what you are seeing :-) Your hellebores (according to the photo and your description) are ALL x hybridus -- the difference in growth patterns is most likely due to the age difference and maybe also to planting times.

Helleborus x hybridus will typically start producing new foliar growth in late winter/early spring, around the same time it flowers (just slightly later). Many hellebore gardeners remove the old season foliage just before flowering because a) it looks pretty ratty, b) can harbor fungal diseases, and c) allows the flowers to be seen unobscured. However, the plant can produce new leaf growth at any time - often you will see this happening in fall in response to cooler temps. You will often see some sporadic flowering at this time also. I'd guess the young plants experienced more damage simply because of their tender age AND more tender foliage:-) Who knows - they might even have been greenhouse grown! They'll toughen up after a season or two in the garden.

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 9:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Thanks, that's good to hear. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the Spring.

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
New Transplants
Hi, I recently planted a couple of Hellebores in my...
mavarin
Too late to plant?
I ordered Ice Follies Hellebores in August, the delivery...
Columbine2012
Argutifolius is a real pain
Of all the hundreds of hellebores I grow I am disgusted...
geoforce
An Abundance of Hellebores
This year I realized I have way too many babies. I...
nanapam02
2-4 yr. old lenten rose seedlings...a friend is gifting to me
I am beyond thrilled...I just recently stumbled upon...
cadillactaste
Sponsored Products
Frozen Grow Towel - Set of Four
$6.99 | zulily
Sterling Finesse 6305-34DR-G05 34W x 65.5H in. Clear Glass Shower Door Multicolo
$842.99 | Hayneedle
Sunny Health & Fitness Pink Magnetic Upright Exercise Bike - P8200
$122.98 | Hayneedle
Under the Dome Terrarium
$114.99 | Dot & Bo
VTX by Troy Barbell Olympic Plate Tree - T-OPT
$116.98 | Hayneedle
Hampton Bay Tables Pembrey Patio Coffee Table HD14208
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™