winter squash dried out - can still use?

potterhead2(z5b NY)January 9, 2013

I have a couple dozen mini butternut squashes stored in a cool, dark room this winter. Some of them have become very light in weight and I assume they are drying out. Can I still use them? Not for fresh eating obviously, but what about rehydrating them and pureeing for soup?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
malna

Sure, you can still use them.

One of our new-to-us and now-a-favorite recipes for butternut squash is the Beef and Butternut Stew linked below. We were pleasantly surprised how well the squash held up to the long cooking time in the broth. That might work well with the ones you think are drying out.

We've re-thought our garden plan and are planting more butternuts (we got 16 large Waltham's this year and only have five left) because we discovered they make a great substitute for sweet potatoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beef and Butternut Squash Stew

Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 8:39PM
potterhead2(z5b NY)

Thanks Malna, I will definately try the stew!

Bookmark   January 10, 2013 at 1:39PM
misskimmie(z4b Central NY)

Thanks for the recipe. Wish I saw this last night. I made pot roast with mashed potatoes but I wanted to make something different. Also my doctor is encouraging me to keep off the whites.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 7:46AM
david52_gw

Along the same lines, I watched something on a PBS old Martha Stewart marathon a couple of weeks ago, where she took acorn squash and diced them up, then tossed them in ground cumin, hot pepper flakes, salt, and olive oil, then roasted them in a hot oven.

So I thought I'd try that, both with a butternut and a kabocha type squash, but for longer and a 350 F oven. Toss with the dry ingredients first. Just a touch of salt. Poke with a fork at 30 - 40 minutes, done when soft.

Pretty good stuff.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 1:16PM
sewdorothy

Yes, very tasty. I made squash soup with fresh squash, then added dehydrated squash. The chewy testure was satisfying and the taste was a lovely complement to fresh squash and peanut butter.

Bookmark   September 19, 2014 at 6:51PM
More Discussions
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™