Dekalb Master Gardeners: Stay or Go, voting on Monday!

girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)December 2, 2010

This coming Monday, December 6th, Dekalb County Commissioners will be voting on county tax cuts. The entire Dekalb Master Gardeners program is at stake.

The Dekalb Master Gardeners are incredibly active, and we have two in our community. They run an organic school garden at Burgess-Peterson public school in our community. The gardeners work with the children each week and write entire curriculum for the school and teachers to incorporate gardening and nature into everyday school activities. They guide community volunteers in many projects: Building raised vegetable beds, building a recycled cold frame, composting, building an outdoor classroom in the woods (and maintaining it), worked in conjunction with Trees Atlanta to incorporate a community orchard on the school property and so much more.

This is only one of the programs. Another important program is the Native wildflower garden at Perimeter College which is assisted and maintained by master gardeners. They made a huge and beautiful expansion of the wooded garden this year (a must see) and assist with all the plant sales and etc. to provide native plants at reasonable costs to the public.

There is nowhere else to get a soil test nearby.

Nowhere else to get the wonderful mulch the County creates...

If you care about Master Gardeners please use the link below to urge Dekalb County Commissioners to keep this valuable program!

http://web.co.dekalb.ga.us/boc/contact.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

I think many of the volunteers at GPC will stay there no matter what happens to the program. That is one dedicated group.

Regardless, it is important to keep the program, they do so much in every community. A great group of people. Other county programs are going through changes too - it's all getting weird!

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 9:17PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

The problem will be they may not have a place to meet or congregate (besides GPC). Buildings and offices will be closed so that they don't have to be cleaned. There will be no place to get a soil sample...
Our local school garden program will loose all of it's resources, and so will the other programs that the extension staff helped get funding and grants for. They already stopped funding the website for canning, which was the only one in the US giving USDA guidelines.

Bookmark   December 3, 2010 at 12:29AM
frannyflowers(7b Marietta, GA)

Haven't been on in a while. How did the vote go? Hope the program was spared.

Bookmark   January 13, 2011 at 1:17PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

I don't think they are sure yet. Our local MG's have been out finding other funding to keep their programs going, just in case!

Bookmark   January 13, 2011 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Hi, I am lost with the new site.
Hi, can someone please direct me to the Swap/ trade...
organic_gardenhag
Help in Southern IL
I moved from NW GA to near St Louis, Paduch, the Ohio...
organic_gardenhag
Looking for gingko biloba tree to plant
This forum has been so slow recently. Hope a bunch...
rosiew
FREE lime tree in pot (Atlanta/Buckhead)
Free to good home -- you must know how to care for...
alison234
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
Sponsored Products
Ball Hugger Ceiling Fan with Optional Light by Modern Fan Company
$316.00 | Lumens
Synergy Ivory Rectangle: 6 Ft. x 9 Rug
Bellacor
Remer by Nameeks QT39US Hand Shower - REMER QT39US
$814.45 | Hayneedle
Kinetic Collection Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
Vintage Paisley Shower Curtain
$39.99 | zulily