Grocery store buy

smdmtJanuary 4, 2014

I just bought a 'Jacob' hellebore in a pot at the grocery store. I would like to plant it in my garden. Today it is 23 degrees and snowing. When the weather breaks and it is above freezing ( and I can work the soil), can I transplant it? It is in my unheated garage where it can get good light and not freeze. Does the plant need to be acclimated to the outdoors?
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjc_molie(z6 CT)

No advice, as I'm kind of in the same "boat", having bought a 'Cinnamon Snow' at a grocery store. I say "kind of" because I don't have a garage or an enclosed porch or an unheated basement.

I'll be watching. Hope you get some help.
Molie

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 11:40AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Is the plant in leaf and or bud? If so it may well have come from a greenhouse in which case it will definitely need hardening off and planting at a more gentle time. I've never experienced that kind of cold nor bought a Hellebore so I can't really help much further.

Mine are all pass alongs or seedlings and are beginning to show some buds just now.

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 3:36PM
smdmt

Thanks 'floral'. The plant has beautiful flowers and buds. I do now plan to keep it in the garage until more moderate weather. Today it is in the 50s. That's the Rocky Mountains for you!

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 5:46PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

It will still need a lot of light, though. Will it get it in your garage? You could stand it outside in the day time to start toughening it up a bit. I have just looked up Jacob and see it is a Helleborus niger cultivar, so a bit more finicky that the H orientalis hybrids I grow. I suggest you do a little research as H niger can prove a challenge. The link suggests Jacob may be dubiously hardy in z5 and would not normally be in flower there in January.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jacob

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 9:30AM
More Discussions
Black death
Last yr. i had a serious aphid population on my hellebores....
dilly
Helleborus for sun
I have a flower bed that I want to re-do. I'd like...
jeanerz13
Do Double Hellebores Flowers Droop?
Anyone with experience growing double hellebores? I...
KarenPA_6b
New Transplants
Hi, I recently planted a couple of Hellebores in my...
mavarin
hybridizing, pushing pollin
is anyone crossing? i will be in about four weeks. hellebores...
bruce03451
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™