purchase

mrtoad(7b NC)January 1, 2012

where are some options to purchase hellebore's

price - variety - quality

thanks - mr toad

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mlb86

Pine Knot Farms offers many species and hybrids including both seed grown strains and tissue cultured clones. Heronswood has a lot of tissue cultured clones and a few others. Big Dipper Farms also has a nice selection and you can order their plants through Amazon. I recently ordered three plants from them and two of the plants are going to flower this year. Prices vary but you can compare them when you visit their websites.

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 3:54PM
jacqueline9CA

I have been getting lovely ones from Brecks for $5 per plant for several years - they are all various sorts of h. orientalis. They send me adds for "5 for $25", and I order them.

Jackie

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 6:17PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

AS others have already mentioned, Pine knot is a leading hybridizer so should have nice quality plants, Big dipper has one of the nicer online selections, santa rosa gardens has lower prices but less selection.

The last two or three years I've seen decent plants at local nurseries, but if they're not labeled as a particular variety I'd be a little cautious about buying when not in bloom. Santa Rosa usually has a great clearance sale during the summer btw.

I ordered a collection of four doubles from Jung's seed this winter. Their rep is kinda on again off again but I'm hoping for the best!

I don't know if you're interested in seeds but it's probably the best way to get some real interesting plants. Buy a couple plants, plant a couple seeds too and in a few years you'll be happier than a pig in... spring

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
Helleborus for sun
I have a flower bed that I want to re-do. I'd like...
jeanerz13
hybridizing, pushing pollin
is anyone crossing? i will be in about four weeks. hellebores...
bruce03451
From bright color flowers to....hellebores
I purchased my first hellebores today on clearance....
lilsprout
Spring pruning: Yes or No?
Previously I have not cut off the old leaves on my...
geoforce
Winter Thrillers series, Wedding Ruffles - What type?
I've noticed that there are different categories such...
bveronico
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™