My Favorite (and Others) Are Blooming!

maximus7116(MI)July 13, 2014

I know it's hard for most to name a favorite daylily, but ever since I first saw Catastrophe Waitress bloom, she's been my favorite. Here's her maiden bloom in a photo that shows why her bloom season is so long:

THE GOLDILOCKS EFFECT also debuted today after overnight rains. Good Lord, I need to weed:

PAINTED DESERT, a 2013 Hanson, with its first bloom:

The very prolific INTEGRATED LOGISTICS looking darker after its morning shower:

SWALLOW TAIL KITE, an older Hanson:

TIM KORNDER, one of the few Emmerichs I grow. This one has been here for about five years but hasn't performed very well:

AMERICAN DOLL (thank you, Debra) probably needs a bit more sun:

AFRICAN GRAPE, a Munson that does very well here (even after its relocation this spring):

And HALF MOON KEY, very prolific and didn't mind being divided and relocated last year:

Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora2b(z6a bc)

You have some really lovely daylilies...love the muddle of color on painted desert. Those buds on Catastrophe Waitress....all I can say is WOW. How long will she bloom with a count like that?
Flora

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 4:41PM
organic_kitten(8)

You have some pretty ones blooming. You are better than I am if you can get to a single favorite. I have trouble getting to 15 favorites. I don't think I have seen Painted Desert before. Very pretty colors on it. Tim Kordner is a beauty. sorry it doesn't do well for you. Catastrophe Waitress is always a beauty, and who doesn't love Half Moon Key?

kay

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 4:43PM
Maryl zone 7a

Being a yellow fan my vote has to go to the Goldilocks Effect. You aren't kidding about Catastrophe Waitress - look at all those buds. You've got so much to look forward to in the next couple of weeks..........Maryl

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 5:24PM
nat4b(4)

Daylilies look great after the rain! It rained a little here yesterday in the morning and most of mine had some rain damage.
Wow all the buds on Catastrophe Waitress! I like The Goldilocks Effect, Tim Kornder and American Doll today. My doll hasn't started yet and the plant is very small.
What are performance issues with TK?

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 7:42PM
maximus7116(MI)

Kay, you have some CW coming your way this year, don't forget.

Nat, TK has been here for seven years and has never really put out the blooms for me. I think I've given it enough time to settle in, don't you?

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:14PM
nat4b(4)

Yes, that's true. I asked because I added one last summer and it's the first year of it blooming. I am in love with the color and size of the bloom, but thanks for the warning.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:29PM
shive(6b TN)

Wow on the buds/branching on Catastrophe Waitress! Very impressive! The color and form on Tim Kornder are just superb. It's a shame it doesn't perform better for you. Integrated Logistics is very sculpted there in your garden. Mine didn't throw as many sculpted blooms this year as it did last season. The bloom on American Doll is looking very pretty in your garden. You've got a better edge on it than I usually get here, so it likes something about where it's planted. Be sure to get some later photos of Painted Desert. That one intrigues me.

Debra

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:39PM
opnjmprs

You must be thrilled strolling through your garden. Just so many wonderful blooms to appreciate. I love The Goldilocks Effect. IL, STK, and AG are beautiful too. TK has always performed wonderfully for me, but I live a lot further south than you.

Linda

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 9:27PM
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

wow, you have some beauties, today, but, my favorites are the last two.Love b oth of them.gorgeous.

jean

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:51PM
mantis__oh

CW does have tremendous bud count. Poor Painted Desert; it's just out of its element in the rain.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:56PM
Julia NY(6)

Nice group even with the rain.

Julia

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:05AM
twixanddud(z5/6 SE Mich)

I would certainly be hard pressed to pick my #1 favorite daylily, but I can sure see why CW is yours. I loved it from the pictures you posted it over the past two or three years and did end up buying it from Curt Hanson late last summer. Mine looks like it might have it's FFO tomorrow. I can hardly wait!

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 3:23PM
gonegardening(7 VA)

The name alone makes it a keeper, Catastrophe Waitress. Very nice daylily!

I agree...seven years is plenty of time...I know of some that could fill that spot (smile).

And, yeah, I don't remember that nice edge on American Doll. Must go outside and look. When it cools off, lol. Okay, checked a picture (instead) and I do see an edge...just not as nice as yours. AD is happy there!

Painted Desert is interesting. Especially in light of the photos and trips CH takes...can't wait to see more of it.

Very enjoyable pics!

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 3:43PM
maximus7116(MI)

Thanks, everyone, and Catastrophe Waitress thanks you for admiring her bud count!

Flora, I think I get close to a month of blooms from CW, which is unusual without any rebloom here.

Twix, I'm so happy you got CW. I hope you'll be as thrilled as I am. The colors in the daylily change from day to day and morning to afternoon. Be sure to post pics.

Debra and Katie, I'll be sure to post more pics of Painted Desert. It isn't the best shot to have posted, but it didn't bloom last year and you know how excited you get when a newbie blooms. American Doll is in part shade, so perhaps that explains her edge. I really wasn't expecting her to make it through our winter, but she seems to have settled in fine.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
Marvelous "M" daylilies, let's see them!
It's time for the M daylilies and I actually have a...
sherrygirl zone5
24/7 daylilies in year 2
I tried the following varieties. Key Largo Moon Kokomo...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Weather?
Off topic, just wanted to say I hope everyone is doing...
Nancy zone 6
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
I copied this post from Jasminerose4u in the rose forum....
KarenPA_6b
Just heard from Jean
Changing from the old Gardenweb to Houzz and the signing...
organic_kitten
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™