Quick growing cheap grass seed?

theconstantgardeners(8)December 13, 2008

Hey guys,

We recently moved into a new house in Athens and all of my free time has been spent reclaiming much of the property from kudzu. Please spare the "it's pointless" posts because I've done more work and research than can be imagined.

My question is if anyone knows of a cheap quick growing grass I could use to seed a recently reclaimed hill. The quality isn't really important.

A few details to clarify: My strategy at this point is about 4 pronged, but includes getting the hill to the point where I can mow it next year (which I've done), and I have new herbicide to use next year (Milestone) that is EXTREMELY non-toxic (look it up) and extremely selective (grass is not affected). Which brings us back to the grass. Grass or other ground cover makes it a little harder for new kudzu seeds to take root. I wouldn't be opposed to a ground cover, but I don't want to introduce another invasive species to the situation.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

I say GREAT! Not pointless at all to fight the Kudzu.

Fescue would be the cheapest and as a cool season grass, would get the best start in the spring. Perhaps mix a little Winter Rye in as well (but it will die out come spring). But it might have a better chance this time of year and the fescue will come out more in the spring.

If you change your mind on what to do with the hill later, fescue is also easier to get rid of than the warm season grasses like bermuda.

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 9:46AM
Tricia

We were very late getting grass seed planted this year. We are converting some beds to lawn. We didn't get the seed laid until the weekend before Thanksgiving. It is now nice length fescue. Ready for its first cut if it dries out a bit. I thought we were wasting the seed but thought the yard would look better with the straw over the grass seed than a big mud pit. Pleasantly surprised it all sprouted.

Bookmark   December 18, 2008 at 8:33PM
laylaa(7b)

I can recommend the lesco brand seed from home depot. Cost less than the others and I like it a heck of a lot better as far as texture and color. It also beats the more known names for germination with a very big stick in my opinion and I have tied a few. The lesco sprouted quite well in the crud hard clay we seeded for erosion until we can get to it. It germinated outstanding in the area we worked the soil and seeded for HOA happiness.

We did use the lesco starter fertilizer - this is great stuff and a little goes a long way.

Bookmark   December 19, 2008 at 10:06AM
esh_ga

Germination for fescue (and other grasses) depends on soil temperature. So if you put it down now, it really just depends on soil temps as to how well it will germinate now.

No harm in trying, of course.

Bookmark   December 19, 2008 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
Howdy Folks!
Any of the old regulars still around? I have been...
vroomp
FREE lime tree in pot (Atlanta/Buckhead)
Free to good home -- you must know how to care for...
alison234
Is anyone using rock dust in the garden?
I learned about rock dust a few days ago and I want...
kngskid
Getting completely rid of invasive vines
Is this possible? We moved in to an extremely neglected...
suwannee75
Sponsored Products
Grout: Custom Building Products Adhesives & Fillers Polyblend #60 Charcoal 10
$13.97 | Home Depot
AeroBed Ultra-Light Adventure Air Mattress - 2000015539
$159.99 | Hayneedle
Mamagreen | Bogard 3 Seater
YLiving.com
XP Camino Pendant
Lightology
XP Kona Pendant
Lightology