Helebores in Texas heat and sun

debndal(8a DFW, TX)February 15, 2008

My landscaper has suggested helebores in a new bed they prepared. It will get summer sun from early morning till about 4 in the afternoon. I've heard many say they do great in sun, but what about Texas summer sun - which can be far more brutal that, say NC, TN, etc. Any opinions on whether that is too much sun? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Depends on what type your landscaper had in mind and frankly, I'm a little surprised he suggested these plants for that situation. Corsican hellebore or Helleborus argutifolius - being native to Corsica and Sardinia - is likely the most sun, heat and drought tolerant selection. But full day Texas sun may be a bit strong for even this species. Morning sun and and some protection from the hottest of the afternoon sun is preferred. H. x hybridus or the oriental hybrids (offering the showiest and most colorful flowers) would most likely turn to toast in full Texas sun and will need a shady location.

Bookmark   February 15, 2008 at 6:57PM
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

Thanks for your reply gardengal. I have a couple of hellebores in the backyard in a really shady area, and they do fine except that they don't bloom much. But I thought the area she recommended them for was too sunny here. I just wanted to know what the experts thought, and was wishing that they would tolerate the sun here, but they are a little to pricey to experiment with. Now I have to figure out what to put in that spot that blooms early and is evergreen and perennial. So far, I'm coming up with a blank.

Bookmark   February 15, 2008 at 11:06PM
bubba62

I have several H. x hybridus planted in a really hot, sunny bed, and I've interplanted them with Salvia guaranitica, which creates a bit of shade for them during the hottest parts of the year, but either dies back or can be cut back completely during the season at which the hellebores bloom and come to the foreground. This requires some maintenance (although I just give the whole bed a "neckline haircut" in late November - it's best to remove old Hellebore foliage annually before the bloom stems emerge, too), but seems to work out well, since the Salvia provides color, motion, and attracts scads of hummingbirds during the summer, when the hellebores tend to just vegetate. I've also had good luck interplanting hellebores with shrub roses, which provide the same benefits and complimentary bloom period. Hellebores are meadow plants in nature, so they're adapted to growing in the light shade produced by perennials and grasses which are somewhat deciduous in winter.

Bookmark   February 16, 2008 at 3:29AM
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

Thanks Bubba - maybe there's hope for some hellebores in my new bed. I hadn't thought about creating some shade with perennials - a great idea. I have salvia guaranitica planned for that bed too, so I can just be sure the hellebores are close enough to get their shade. Thanks.

Bookmark   February 16, 2008 at 11:45PM
farang

I have a related problem. I would love to grow hellebores here in Phuket, as I did in Scotland, but fear the heat and humidity might be too much for them. Any opinions?

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 9:39PM
roxy_girl(7b Weatherford TX)

HA HA HA!!! I say have this Land"Quack"scaper to put her money where her mouth is! Let her spend the bucks to buy them (as they are expensive) and you go right ahead and plant them in full sun here in "Hell" (aka: Texas) and IF they make it then you pay her for them...you won't be out any money honey! *lol*

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 11:55PM
More Discussions
Winter Thrillers series, Wedding Ruffles - What type?
I've noticed that there are different categories such...
bveronico
Helleborus for sun
I have a flower bed that I want to re-do. I'd like...
jeanerz13
Just ordered 6 Amethyst Gem Strain
I know I posted this before but I ordered 4" pots...
420benz
Help! Helleborus 'Cinnamon Snow' from Trader Joe's
Over the holidays I was at a Trader Joe's in southern...
mjc_molie
hybridizing, pushing pollin
is anyone crossing? i will be in about four weeks. hellebores...
bruce03451
Sponsored Products
Queen Pink Skirted Coverlet 60" x 80" w/ 30" Drop
$690.00 | Horchow
Tree of Life Side Chair in Black
$74.99 | Dot & Bo
Gold Burlington Blackout Five-Piece Curtain Set
$19.99 | zulily
Tesla 3 LED 0-30 Adj Trim 28 Deg 3000K 85CRI
Lightology
City Lights Multi-Colored Six Piece Queen Duvet Set
$399.00 | Bellacor